Testing oil injection system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing oil injection system?

I have a 1999 Ultra150 that damaged number 3 rod journal and cylinder to what looks like a lack of lube. The maintenance manual states how to test the oil pump for flow into an open container. Is there any way to check that oil is actually making to each cylinder through each carb. If you blow on the oil port on each carb they fell blocked. I was told to put a 50:1 mix in the fuel tank then put a small bubble in each lube line near the pump then run engine to see if the bubble moves down the line into each carb. That does not sound very high tech. Is there a better way? I have a new oil pump to install on my new SBT engine but would like to insure that lube is making it into each cylinder.

Thanks,

Ed
    Last edited by waterjet; 01-17-2005, 06:25 PM.

Re: Testing oil injection system?

I'v never owned a ski with oil injection as I have only had two stand up ski's. But I have raced track bikes with autolube for some time and the method you have been told use is an old but good technique. It's not rocket science really, if the bubble moves you've got a clear line.

Comment

Re: Testing oil injection system?

waterjet,

I dunno bout kawasaki's but the technique I learned here on how we do it on Seadoo's.

I recentley installed a new SBT motor and tested the pump using a power drill in reverse on the pump shaft to see and measure the oil output.

I don't know if following a bubble is a good idea, it sounds kinda scary as the oil moves very slow through the lines and you'll have a lean condition on a new motor. Though I know you'll have that 50 to 1 premix it still sounds scary.

If following a bubble is how they do it on kawasaki's then that's that as it must work.

Hope that helps.

SmokeyJoe

Comment

Working...
      X