1994 Kawasaki 550sx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Kawasaki 550sx

I have never had a stand-up, however, I have an opportunity to purhcase on of these (engine blown) for $200. Any comments on the ski or the reliability of the 550 in this hull? Is it a fun ride????

Re: 1994 Kawasaki 550sx

It's fun if you're under 120 lbs.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

So a big ol boy at 210 should forget it?

Comment

Uh, yeah. You need an Octane or modified Kaw750 or modified Superjet.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You could have said it a little gentler.............

Comment

Yea mate they're a great little ski and you can learn alot from riding one. If you re-build it and set it up properly it'll be reliable and there's loads of cheap bits for them as they seemed to make about 50billion of the things. I'm 11.5stones which if I'm not mistaken is about 161lbs, that makes me quite light really, even by English standards. I would say 210 is not out of the question, the ski will do it no problem, but if you're a begginer you'll struggle on anything being a little on the heavy side. I didn't think they made the 550s as late as 94, if it's a late one the easyest give away is that it should have a rear exit exhaust. But anyway, give it a go, if you're handy on the spanners or have a pal who is then you've got nothing to lose.

Comment

you could really beef it up and get the job done but the money spent and time (not to mention engine reliability) would not make it worth it unless your just dead set on it. but it can be a very quick ski, even w/a 200#er on it, but not the most stable by no means. or you could just do like i did and take the 550 and sell it and slap a 750 in it for a killer combo that will surely get you hurt, even an old expert.

they did make one in 94 cuz i have one too. i think they quit in 94 or 95. they were a really good ski and the engine was much better than it's predecessor cast iron anchor they use to have.

there are tons of stuff for the 550 but there is more for the pre sx style which is referred to as the js model. there aren't a lot of engine stuff for the reed motor like the piston port and are a little harder to find and when you do they are generally more expensive.

a 210# rider should stick w/whats mentioned above. because once you got good on it..................the only thing thats gonna run accross your mind is i should have bought a bigger ski w/more power.
              cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

Good point Cameron. Mine is a 91 and it's a port and window set-up, I forgot they made a reed induction motor. I quite like the sound of them though, I abslutely love riding my 550 in the surf it's just so nible you can really rip it up. When I jumped on my 750SXI pro for the first time I was firstly amazed at the power of it, but then when I threw it into a turn the bloody thing threw me off cos it turned SO tight and sharp I just wasn't expecting anything like it. It does have an extended ride plate and scoop grate though, which when I had a go on my mates standard one, I realised makes them really cut in and turn rather than just skip across. But back to the 550, I think if you learn to ride on one, then step up to something better it bennefits you in the long run. but If you can afford to go out and buy something better in the first place you might as well do that. Any modern ski will be fine for you, despite what was mentioned above, they really don't need to be modified, trust me. Hey Cameron, I like your style with the 750 powered 550, that must be awesome, how easy is the conversion I'm all over it.

Comment

the conversion's not too bad, you need a conversion plate and some good ideas on how to stuff big parts in a small hole. i personally would'nt trade my 550 for nuthin. the 750 is too much power for the little thing, at high speed it actually just lays the ski down on its side from the power of the engine. the 650 is the best choice. gives you more power like a lot of 550 riders desire yet not too much that it tares the ski and the rider up. and the 750 when punched from a dead stop is too much power for the 550 pump, it just cavitates like crazy, but when on plane, theres nuthin that'll stay next to it. a stock 650 is what i actually went with. i think it gives it a little better power to weight ratio, whatever that means.

there are some guys here in the states that claim to have a 60mph+ 550 with a 750 in it. i would'nt even want to get on the thing.
                  cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

Hey guys. I have personally owned 2 js models with 750 motors in them. I can tell you from personal experiance. Its a blast. One was a stock 750 from a 94 ss. Not too bad. One was a modified 750 with a pipe and some other stuff. Would reallly rip once we got the pump to hook up after extensive work. Great for some hard bouy ridin once you got used to it. Never officially mph erd it but a good guess was mid 50s or so. I still have 1 bone stock 550 82 model and plan on keepin it that way. My son loves it when the sit down gets boring for him.
                    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

i have a 93 550sx - same as the 94... bought it new... ive added a few mods onto it... and i have had no problems riding it... i was about 215 last summer... and the ski had no problems pulling me out of the water.... i would have to say go for it... i love my 550sx -
                      Don

Comment

I got a 300 JS and I weigh 210 and are 6.4. It took me a lot of effort to learn to ride it, but now I get on it and go. Not very fast but its a great work out

so a 550 shouldn't be a problem, it depends on your own skills.
                        I tried to see your point of view, but couldn't get my head that far up my *** !

Comment

Working...
                        X