94 gtx 650 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 gtx 650 no spark

Hi I'm New here but have a very old problem, no spark! I've worked on many two stroke bikes before but never a sea doo ski and it really has me stumped that there is no spark after running fine last fall. i've tried everything i can to find out whats wrong and seem to think that it may be the coils first i dodnt have an ohm meter so i'm doing this all the shadetree method. engine cranks and all but and i get a slight pulsing voltage (slight spark when held next to ground ) at the wire lead to the coil but nothing out of the plug end if the wire even after triming back to expose good contact wire. by having this power into the coil and nothing out this would lead me to the coil but i'm unsurethere was slight miosture in the elec box nothing to excessive temp related as it was cold the last week and really warm last two days my question is there a way two narrow it down to what exACTLY WOULD CAUSE SUDDEN LOSS OF SPARK?

Re: 94 gtx 650 no spark

Charge the battery or get a new one and try again.. Report back what happens. A weak battery will crank the motor all day long, but WONT give you good enough spark to start the boat.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

will do thanks hope this works

Comment

put battery on charger all night till fully charged and still no spark cranks great/ getting fuel/ but no spark! checked the stop switch, its fine as well as the teather swicth. nothing wrong there. but still no spark! and like a said before if i hold the wire lead to the coil close too but not touching the ground post in the box i get a pulsing real light spark between them. should this be a hotter spark here? or is my coil bad? fuses are all good too. thanks cant afford seventy bucks and hour or to be ripped off by someone selling me things i dont need. when they really just tightend a bolt if you know what i mean

Comment

Try removing your spark plug boots and snipping your wires back about 1/4" each. Put the boots back on then see. It might be a bad coil. I am not sure of the elec testing for that though, I am sure somebody here will chime in if the wire trim does not work for you.

Also, if you have a volt meter... Check the draw on the battery while cranking. It needs to be at or above 12v to start the craft if I remember right. Your battery might be charged, but that does not mean it's any good.
          Dan Solie -
          04 RXP (the "Instigator")
          94 xp (freestyle mods)
          95 xp (faster than the 94)
          JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

thanks but i did that just forgot to mention it

Comment

Seeing that the ignition relies on the electricity generated from the stator assy,it only stands to reason if it is weak,the spark will be too.

Comment

I had a '96 SPX that had a similar problem. After changing out every electrical componant on the exterior including a new coil, plug ends, fuses, battery, and the MPEM I finally pulled the front of the engine off to change out the stator (even though it tested ok with a meter). I thought that it may have had an intermittenly bad wire. Turned out the stator was fine. The problem was in the four pin connector that connects the stator to the rest of the boat. Once I took it apart (both halfs), cleaned and tightened the contacts and reassembled it with dielectric grease the problem went away. Since your boat ran fine, sat awhile and then didn't I would suspect corosion somewhere in the wiring rather than parts. That's not to say parts could not go bad, it's just not as likely. Before you go to the trouble of dissassembling the front of the motor, and it is a good bit of trouble, I would make sure ALL of the connections are clean, tight and well greased. Don't forget to check the fuse holder bases for corosion while your at it.
                Finding spark problems on these things can be a real pain.
                Good luck.
                Dave
                Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

is there anyone here that can tell me how to test these individual componants with and ohm metter or multi meter and what the readings should be? I will check all connections again in morning and clean and regrease as best i can. I figured ( educated guess 0 that with power to the coil and none out at all it would be a bad coil. but i want to be sure. what are theses jel batteries i was told about are they better than these older ones that you got to fil up then trickle charge and do they hold up better?

Comment

The 1994 models have the CDI built into the coil.

You should only be getting a very weak spark when you ground the lead to the coil. Coils get very low voltage sent to them.

There are two types of ignitions on 1994 657 and 657X model motors.

657 models have a single generating coil. 657X have double generating coil ignitions.

When you open the electrical box, if it has 4 electrical components, a starter solenoid, an mpem,a rectifier and a coil, it is a SINGLE Generating coil system. ( the generating coils are on the stator ).

If you have an electrical box with those 4 electrical components and a IGNITION MODULE too, ( a little black square box ), then you have what Sea Doo calls the DOUBLE GENERATING COIL system).

In a single generating coil system, The magneto is the primary source of electrical energy. It transforms magnetic field into electric current through a generating coil. THe IGNITION COIL recieves it's energy from the generating coil via a BLACK/RED wire. The generating coil allows a current to flow through ignition coil with it's intergrated CDI module and through primary windings. The ignition coil induces voltage to a high level in secondary windings to produce a spark at the sparkplugs.

In a DOUBLE GENERATING COIL system, The IGNITION COIL recieves it's energy from a IGNITION MODULE ( the extra electrical component in the 675X electrical box) via TWO wires. It induces voltage to a high level in the secondary windings to produce a spark at the sparkplugs. The IGNITION MODULE recieves it's primary electrical current from the magneto via two wires which charges a capacitor. It controls spark occurance by discharging capacitor to primary windings of the ignition coil.

The MPEM has many functions, some of which can cause a NO SPARK situation. The MPEM has fuses attached to it. Some even have IGNITION RELAYS on them. All of the fuses and relays must be good. The MPEM has a built-in rev limiter too. If it goes bad, then the ignition does not make spark from the coil.

Make sure all of these things check out ok. You have allready said you did some of these checks.

In order, check :
                    Spark occurance/sparkplug condition
                    Battery condition
                    All electrical connections
                    Engine stop/safety lanyard switches.
                    ignition relay.
                    MPEM
                    Magneto output
                    Ignition coil output.

Typically, these components are checked with a Bombardier Ignition Tester, but an alternative method can be used with a digital Ohm meter.

First check the resistance of the generating coil of the magneto, then the ignition coil. Be advised, An ignition coil with good resistance measurments can still be faulty. Voltage leak can occur at high voltage level which cannot be detected with an ohm meter.

The generating coil can be checked for resistance by locating the Black with Black/Red wire coming from the magneto housing. It should read between 40-76 Ohms of resistance.

The Ignition coil should read between 9-15K ohms at the end of the sparkplug wires with the caps removed.

Note, a short circuit should read 0 ohm or close to 0 hms on an ohmmeter.

Sparkplug caps should be removed because they are RESISTOR CAPS. The cap resistance is 4.48ohms.

Beyond these tests, the best way to eliminate bad parts is through parts replacement.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I have a complete grey box from a 94GTX in good working order.It came from
                      a running ski that I stripped for parts.$100+ship

Comment

thank you i will attempt these test tommorow with an ohm meter. inside my box i have a starter solenoid, an mpem, a coil, and a little sqaure box about an inch and a half across it is black with some kind of resin seal on top. (which system is this) i have bid on a coil on ebay just to start the elimination process in case as i said i have a small amount of voltage coming from the feed wire to the coil but nothing out of it at the spark plug ends. which in my two stroke bike experience would point to a bad coil and i right to assume this on these machines as this is the last stage before the plugs and it has voltage to it. a free ski cover for your ski to anyone who leads me to the answer which gets my ski fired up via ebay

Comment

i am interested in this definitly wher are you located and would you take pay pal

Comment

$100 is a deal. Then you have all the parts you need. If fact, you could just swap boxes.........
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM
                            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

how much shipping and do you take paypal

Comment

Working...
                              X