2001 Sea Doo RXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2001 Sea Doo RXX

Maybe this isn't the boat for me.... what is considered a good deal? Low 4k?

Comment

That would be very reasonable. I sold mine for $5K last year.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I thought i remember my friend talking about other maintanence issues like re torqueing the head ever 20 hrs or something. He also bitched about the handling, as he was used to 96 xp's handling.

Comment

I hope he wasn't bitching about having to re-torque a head??? He should not even own a race motor if he can't take 5 minutes to re-torque a head without bitching about it. Although, being the RXX and all other 951's share the same motor, I don't know why it would be necessary to do that more than once, like all boats on the 10 hr. service.

The only special issue that Sea Doo mentions in their RXX manual is replacing the top end bearings every 25 hours, otherwise, it's normal 951 maintence.

But what they do not mention is that you need to retighten the twin pipe exhaust manifold bolts after running the motor and getting it hot. But an experenced racer would do that anyway with twin pipes.

Like I said, these boats are not for someone who is not mechanically inclined.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

I know of a few racers here that bought the RXX and had nothing but problems with keeping them running. And trust me, these guys were great as far as working on their own skis. In the last two years I have not see a rider show up to a race with an RXX on his/her trailer. Hope this helps. :)
            Texas Team Yamaha<br />#519 Novice <br />Region 5<br /><br /><a href="http://texasteamyamaha.com" target="_blank">Texas Team Yamaha</a>

Comment

Susan,
              I raced, rode and used my RXX for a full year before I tore it down for maintence.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

You musta got a good one though! ;) But to be honest, these guys are good, but not as technical as you. I gotta give credit where credit's due! :)
                Texas Team Yamaha<br />#519 Novice <br />Region 5<br /><br /><a href="http://texasteamyamaha.com" target="_blank">Texas Team Yamaha</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                  I hope he wasn't bitching about having to re-torque a head??? He should not even own a race motor if he can't take 5 minutes to re-torque a head without bitching about it.
                  I remember him saying alot more than that. He had the boat in his garage torn apart alot more than on the water. He bought it new, never raced it. He used to work for a seadoo dealership when he purchased it, and he now runs his own shop fixing pwc and snowmobiles. A topend rebuild is only good mainenance to him, and he had little good to say about his. Not that all were or are bad, but his was no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                    I hope he wasn't bitching about having to re-torque a head??? He should not even own a race motor if he can't take 5 minutes to re-torque a head without bitching about it. Although, being the RXX and all other 951's share the same motor, I don't know why it would be necessary to do that more than once, like all boats on the 10 hr. service.

The only special issue that Sea Doo mentions in their RXX manual is replacing the top end bearings every 25 hours, otherwise, it's normal 951 maintence.

But what they do not mention is that you need to retighten the twin pipe exhaust manifold bolts after running the motor and getting it hot. But an experenced racer would do that anyway with twin pipes.

Like I said, these boats are not for someone who is not mechanically inclined.
                    Bill,
                    I guess I'm somewhat mechnically inclined? I did do a sucessful 720 swap in my 94 GTS back in the day, and also rebuilt my 580 engine before I got tired of its declining power. The 951 motor in my opinion is harder to work on than the older 580,650,720 engine because everything is so cramped in the engine bay. I don't mind doing preventive maintaince (topends) if the job is somewhat straight forward and easy to do like on a 580,650,720 engine. I never had to do an major work on my 99XPL so i'm not familure with the 951 motor, so i feel somewhat scared to start tearing into it without some kind of direction, but with the power of this board I'm sure I can figure it out.
                    Well tomorrow I go look at the ski and I'm bringing my cash just in case if I fall in love with it. I will have pictures if I do end up getting it....

Alright I'm off to bed.

Comment

The engine bay is quite a bit more cramped in there, especially with Fac twins... Here is my engine with them on!! Not much room. But oh man, is it worth it!!! Mainly, once you take off the pipes a few times and get used to it, you can pull the motor quite fast. Also, EGT's help with Twin Pipes.. Helps you find that 951 lean spot. I am not sure if the RXX came with an EGT system or not.
                      Attached Files
                      Dan Solie -
                      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)
                      95 xp (faster than the 94)
                      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I own 2 of these bad boys. I bought them brand new in 2003 and have had no problems with them. They aren't the fastest anymore, but they still hang in there pretty good for being 10 years old.

Comment

Working...
                        X