2001 Sea Doo RXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Sea Doo RXX

Ok I have a good feeling that this is a legit deal and responded on boattrader, ad was just listed. Maybe this one is ment to be? Going to look at this boat this Saturday and he is kinda local to me so it makes it even easier. Just got off the phone with him and this is what he had to say. He is the original owner of the boat and he said it has always been taken care of and has had the drive shaft update and sponsons update and the trim lever seals replaced. Boat has 80 hours on it and he claims it runs great. Going to bring my craftsman gauge and do the compression check on it. What compression should this boat bring? Are these boats reliable? Anything I should look for? Is this motor stressed from all the performance updates from the factory?

Re: 2001 Sea Doo RXX

From what I have heard, they are fast boats but far from the most reliable ski you could buy.

Comment

Back away from the ski. This ski will require alot of scheduled maintanence and it isn't worth it for the extra mph. A friend of mine dumped his an got an xpl and is so much happier doing so.

Comment

Wow are you serious? Can't hurt to look at it on sat. I heard from several other riders that they're fairly reliable boats as long as your not wave jumping them hard (something to do with the twin pipes). What kind of work did your buddies rxx require?

Comment

They have had hull cracking issues, driveshaft cracking issues, and like you said - are not for any hard riding. They are meant for closed course racers only, not rec riding.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Well the guy I'm buying it from bluntly said he was in his 40's and the boat has never been raced and I'm welcomed to have the dealer check it out. He just bought a RXP and the thing has to go.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

I heard they were really difficult to work on because of the restricted access with the pipes.

Sorry to hear about your other deal Dan. Hope you find the ski you want.
              "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

Dan,

Another option you have... It the craft is cheap enough, you can buy it then part most of it out. The twins for a 951 will sell for up to $800, there is a Mag pump back there that rocks that boat $$$$. The sponsons are one peice and EXTREMELY durable (and well designed). The carbs too! You can rip off all the RXX plus items, make a few dollars and put stock 951 parts etc. on it to make it a normal XPL type craft.
                Dan Solie -
                04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                94 xp (freestyle mods)
                95 xp (faster than the 94)
                JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by Dan99XPL
                  Well the guy I'm buying it from bluntly said he was in his 40's and the boat has never been raced and I'm welcomed to have the dealer check it out. He just bought a RXP and the thing has to go.

Thanks for the input.
                  I'm 50. Just because someone is 40 or 50 does not mean it hasn't had
                  the tar ran out of it. I have 2 speeds No wake and Wide open. Running one
                  wide open all day is probably harder on it than a 20 minute race.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Roszell
                    I heard they were really difficult to work on because of the restricted access with the pipes.

Sorry to hear about your other deal Dan. Hope you find the ski you want.
                    Danny + Dan,
                    Nice first name one of my favorites!! lol

Seriously though I have 3 weeks to find the ski I need cause were going to Myrtle Beach for spring break and I need a ski to ride with my buds. I'm afraid to pass up the RXX cause nothing else local tickles my fancy like this ski does. The seller seems to be legit. I guess taking all the good parts off and going factory XPL specs is an option but not an option I wanna take. I would feel guilty hacking such a rare boat apart plus its to much work, if I don't like the boat I'll just sell it and get something else.

Thanks for the info guys keep it comming.

Comment

Dan,
                      Now you will hear from a guy who owned an RXX for 2 years, ME.

The guy had the updates done so the driveshaft isn't a special concern.

The hulls of the RXX's that were late sellers were updated with stronger hulls, so if it is an updated hull, you will not have delamination. Hull delamination normally occurs within abot 10 to 20 hours or less. But, you need to closely inspect the hull bottom on the left side between the strakes. Delamination starts out looking like an innocent crack in the gel coating and rapidly becomes a huge sheet of fiberglass that rips itself away from the hull from front to rear. If you see hairline cracking in the gel coating between the starkes on the left underside of the hull ( left side when facing from the rear of the hull, and about the same place on the hull directly below where your left foot would ride ), do not buy this RXX.

The RXX is a true 66mph boat. Some will do a bit better than that.

The RXX needs to be owned by someone who is mechanically inclined, not afraid of twin pipes, and not afraid to re-do the top end of the motor on occasion. like once each season. You should replace the pistons and wrist pin bearings each season. There is nothing special about an RXX engine. It is the exact same engine that is in all XPL's, RX's and GTX's. Except it has Rinaldi reeds and differnt jets in the carbs, and of course, twin pipes.

The hull is not very good for closed course racing, endurance racing or rough water riding. It steers like a truck and will quickly wear out your arms on a tight racetrack. It does not handle rough water well at high speeds, compared to an XPL or a GPR.

What I liked about it best was that my wife enjoyed riding it on the lakes and at the river.

The RXX has some great parts on it. FPP twin pipes, Skat Trak Magnum pump, UMI steering, Jet Trim mats and seat cover, R&D hydrolic drop nozzel, to name a few.

My stock RXX was entered into two IJSBA National Events in Expert 1200 Limited. It holeshotted both races and faded to 4th place in both races. The rider was worn out at the end of both races ( 15 laps around a closed course). He suffered extreme arm pump, that he does not get on any of his normal race boats (1996XP Limited and Polaris 785 SS).

The RXX is a classic. In great condition, it will be a collectors piece some day. It is not the fastest or the best watercraft on the market, but it is pretty nice compared to all the cookie cutter boats out there. At least it is different, and not slow.

I would definetly own a second pwc though, something I enjoy to ride everyday. I compare the RXX to like having a 1960's model Corvette parked in the garage. You don't use it often, but when you do, you have something different and not too slow, and it can be fun on smoother waters.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Amen Bill!!

That was beautifully stated.
                        Dan Solie -
                        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)
                        95 xp (faster than the 94)
                        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                          Dan,
                          Now you will hear from a guy who owned an RXX for 2 years, ME.

The guy had the updates done so the driveshaft isn't a special concern.

The hulls of the RXX's that were late sellers were updated with stronger hulls, so if it is an updated hull, you will not have delamination. Hull delamination normally occurs within abot 10 to 20 hours or less. But, you need to closely inspect the hull bottom on the left side between the strakes. Delamination starts out looking like an innocent crack in the gel coating and rapidly becomes a huge sheet of fiberglass that rips itself away from the hull from front to rear. If you see hairline cracking in the gel coating between the starkes on the left underside of the hull ( left side when facing from the rear of the hull, and about the same place on the hull directly below where your left foot would ride ), do not buy this RXX.

The RXX is a true 66mph boat. Some will do a bit better than that.

The RXX needs to be owned by someone who is mechanically inclined, not afraid of twin pipes, and not afraid to re-do the top end of the motor on occasion. like once each season. You should replace the pistons and wrist pin bearings each season. There is nothing special about an RXX engine. It is the exact same engine that is in all XPL's, RX's and GTX's. Except it has Rinaldi reeds and differnt jets in the carbs, and of course, twin pipes.

The hull is not very good for closed course racing, endurance racing or rough water riding. It steers like a truck and will quickly wear out your arms on a tight racetrack. It does not handle rough water well at high speeds, compared to an XPL or a GPR.

What I liked about it best was that my wife enjoyed riding it on the lakes and at the river.

The RXX has some great parts on it. FPP twin pipes, Skat Trak Magnum pump, UMI steering, Jet Trim mats and seat cover, R&D hydrolic drop nozzel, to name a few.

My stock RXX was entered into two IJSBA National Events in Expert 1200 Limited. It holeshotted both races and faded to 4th place in both races. The rider was worn out at the end of both races ( 15 laps around a closed course). He suffered extreme arm pump, that he does not get on any of his normal race boats (1996XP Limited and Polaris 785 SS).

The RXX is a classic. In great condition, it will be a collectors piece some day. It is not the fastest or the best watercraft on the market, but it is pretty nice compared to all the cookie cutter boats out there. At least it is different, and not slow.

I would definetly own a second pwc though, something I enjoy to ride everyday. I compare the RXX to like having a 1960's model Corvette parked in the garage. You don't use it often, but when you do, you have something different and not too slow, and it can be fun on smoother waters.
                          Is there possible to check this hull delamination by serial number? If so what numbers are considered the updated hull? I will look for the cracks underneath the hull like you recommended. Hopefully there not there.

Bill, Why do the topends need rebuilding each season or is this just a recomendation? Will the compression on this boat be the same as my 99XPL? The dealer I spoke to expect to get about 150 hours before a topend rebuild and the seller claims around 80 hours on it now? Is there an hours gauge on this boat or do I have have them hook up the computer to it to get the hours verfied.

Thanks for the info guys keep it coming.

Comment

I have no idea how you could trace the serial numbers unless you had a dealership computer access the records ( it would be recorded as a warranty replacement for the orginal owner ). Have you even asked him? Keep in mind, some unsold RXX's were upgraded before they got sold the first time.

The factory RXX manual said to "REPLACE THE WRIST PIN BEARINGS EVERY 25 HOURS".......

Experence tells me to swap the pistons about every 100 hours on an RXX.

If this kind of maintence bothers you, you should not own an RXX. It was a factory racing watercraft. It is not a typical 951 powered Sea Doo.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM
                            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

If you're getting a good enough deal, buy it and ride it on spring break. By the end of break you'll know if you like it or not. If so, and you're willing to deal with the maintaince issues, keep it. If not, sell it. You'll be right at peak selling season for skis so you should be able to at least get your money out of it. The only down side is if you sell it, then you'll be looking for another in peak season too.

Dave
                              Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

Working...
                              X