newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie questions

I just bought a 94 Kawasaki 750cc SuperSport Xi a couple months ago. I don't know much at all about these things as it's my first jetski so i'm just wondering what are some basic maintance things i should do/check to get it ready for the summer. Everything appears to be in great shape and the one time i've started it, it started up great. Please be detailed in your advice since I'm really not familiar with these things. I can pull apart just about any car engine but i don't know much about these 2 cycles accept for the basics.
    -Casey

Re: newbie questions

There are a few things you should be concerned about if you dont know any history about this ski. First off do a compression check on the motor. that will give you a basic idea about the top end internals and then you can decide if you want to go any further. Second drain any fuel in the tank and install fresh fuel along with new fuel filter and spark plugs. The pumps on these are a sealed bearing type and usually do not require any maintaince during the life of the pump unless a seal failed allowing water to contaminate the bearing. If oil injection is still hooked up check all oil lines for signs of hardning and cracking or leaks. Very common on older motors. Replace if necessary. When all this is complete run the ski briefly but not too hard. The carbs may need attention. If it seems sluggish or does not idle correctly then a carb job would be a good idea. It may have set up a long time or may not have ever had the carbs gone through. If thats the case then they are overdue anyway. If all checks out and seems to run good then ride and enjoy your ski.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Thanks, what is the longest i should run the ski dry?

Comment

Dry as in no cooling water. 30-45 seconds max. Dry as in not on the lake and on a hose 5-7 minutes.
        WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

how do you hook a hose up?

Comment

You need a flush kit look on ebay or www.ronayers .com

Comment

cool, thanks. So if i run it for more than 5-7 minutes with a flush kit I still run the risk of burning up the jet pump right? Sorry for the dumb questions.
              -Casey

Comment

The pump bearings do require water to keep them from getting overheated. The Yamahas and Kawasakis arent as bad as the Seadoos but will heat up if ran for an extended period of time without adequate cooling water. The flush hose for a kawasaki is easily made with a few items from a local hardware store. The fitting is on the head with a black rubber cover and clamp on it. Remove this and hook a hose with a hose connector to it. Thats all you need for these.

Comment

I suggest that you get rid of the oil injection and go to pre-mix. You can pick up the block off kit for around $10-$15. It is a very wise investment.
                  rob
                  ride it like you stole it

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the help.

Comment

I have 6 of those that I rent
                      its a good idea to check the bearings in the pump annually water sometimes gets in and stays there and when you store it for a while the bearings can and in my case usully do
                      I have all the original oil injection systems but on my personal one I will go premix
                      you dont have to do this but I check every night after customer has used.
                      compression
                      syphon some fuel dragging syphon on bottom to get out the crap that can gets in
                      steering and throttle cables
                      coat engine and other things under seat but not too much
                      top up oil
                      spark plugs
                      be good,
                      if you cant be good,
                      be carefull
                      if you can't be carefull,
                      buy a pram

Comment

Is it fairly easy to check the bearings? If not, is there a link on here or something showing me how? Also, when i coat the engine, do i just spray some wd40?

Comment

You can pull the pump for a complete bearing inspection. Or you can just pull the nozzle and the rear cap to check just the rear bearing. There should be some grease inside the cup and around the bearing. Should be no moisture or water. Be careful when reinstalling the cup. The orings are easy to pinch.
                          As far as the spray goes are you in fresh or salt water. If fresh then you can use wd-40 but a good silicone based product would be better. Just be sure the engine compartment is dry after every ride. Leave the seat off for a while after use. This always helps.

Comment

ok, i'll give that a try. Thanks for all the help.
                            -Casey

Comment

Working...
                            X