Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP1200 Ride Plate or Intake grate?

Hello,
    I have a '99 GP1200 All stock except Solas XO imp.
    With my limited funds, I was wondering which upgrade would provide the most "bang for the buck" Intake grate or ride plate? Is there a chance of reducing performance with a riva intake grate on a stock motor?
    Conditions are hardly ever glass out here where the wind is allways "sweeping down the plains"
    Appreciate any opinions, thoughts etc....

Re: GP1200 Ride Plate or Intake grate?

Go with an R&D Aquavein intake grate.
    Shim the stock ride plate at the rear if you have porposing. It will help some, but trim tabs will REALLY help. Put them next on your list if you don't have them.
    The grate will pull the revs down alittle, but you should be fine with that impeller choice.
    You will like the results.
    J-me
    05 Bayliner 175
    98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

i have a new, (in the pakage) R&D carbon fiber ride plate to fit your GP. these work awesome. it org. sold for over 300.00. i will sell it now for 150.00 + s&h. copy and paste link below, and look under yamaha for a pic. zig
      please visit my link with pics of my many parts for sale

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radracingpics/my_photos

email radracingpwc@aol.com

Comment

How Did That Prop Work For You ,did It Increase Your Top Speed ,what Was Your Top Speed Now That You Changed Prop To Xo

Comment

The oem ride plate on the '99 is the worst ride plate ever made. You need
          to change it. The OEM ride plate from a '97 or '98 is 5" longer and a huge
          improvement as are the aftermarket plates.

My set up is Solas XO, R & D Aquavein grate, and a Shred-Master ride plate.

Comment

Go with the R&D Grate. But then again the 99 plate is almost useless. For plates go with the R&D or Riva "Limited" (now called "Performance Ride Plate")
            www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

So the '98 stock plate is THAT much better than the '99 eh?

Comment

The '99 ride plate is pretty much like having no ride plate at all :D
                Last edited by 99gp1200; 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOM
                  How Did That Prop Work For You ,did It Increase Your Top Speed ,what Was Your Top Speed Now That You Changed Prop To Xo
                  I could sure feel a difference in how hard the ski pulls out of the hole. I also gained 2-3mph on the top end on glass. Based on the "dream-o-meter"
                  Thanks for all the great info.

Comment

The XO makes mine feel velcro'd to the water.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

DTD696 -

My riding conditions are probably similar to yours (I live in KS). As others have said, billet trim tabs are a must and should be your 1st purchase.

A different ride plate should be your 2nd purchase. I run a Shred on my '97 and Riva Performance on my '98. IMO the Shred is by far the best at reducing the dreaded porpoising but is pricey, doesn't have the "tunability" (via shimming) of the Riva Plate and takes about 2mph off your top-end speed. On my Riva plate, I'm running 1 washer under the front bolts and 2 washers under the rear bolts. I also have a new R&D rideplate in the garage which is basically the same dimensions as the Riva that I bought to try but never have taken the time. For speed, this is the plate that many swear by but I can't attest to how it performs in rough water since I've never actually tested it myself. If interested, I'd sell it for $100+actual shipping costs.

For better hookup in the rough/choppy water condition, you will want to add a R&D aquavein intake. But I found that it did take off about 1mph off the top end vs. the stock plate on glass conditions, but made a huge improvement in hookup in the chop.

The X0 prop is the best prop for these ski's with basically a stock engine. Carl at Island Racing can repitch it to optimize it to your exact ski mods (gets you both a little more holeshot as well possibly 1-2mph of top end).

Last on the list... at some point you will want to upgrade the sponsons to either Riva, Worx or Beachhouse. Any of these will also reduce the the porpoising

Comment

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ,I JUST DROPPED MY SKI OFF TODAY AT ISLAND PERFORMANCE TO GET THE XO PROP,NEW TRIM TABS AND THE CARB DIAPHRAMS CHANGED THE ONES THAT GET PINCHED. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE PLACE ,HE TOOK HIS TIME WITH ME, CHECKED MY COMPRESSION ,LOOKED OVER THE BOAT WITH ME,BASICALLY SPENT A GOOD 30-40 MINS AND WENT OVER OPTIONS. HE'S A HALF AN HOUR AWAY ,BUT I WOULD DRIVE 3 HOURS, ISLAND RACING GETS MY THUMBS UP!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X