Carb Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Spring

98 GP 1200...Ok, so the rebuild kit includes two springs, one slightly longer than the other. Which one do I use?

What type of gasket sealant do I use on the carb mounting gasket?? The same Loctite Hi-Tack that SBT recommends for all paper gaskets?

On the topic of gaskets, the SBT instructions say to use a copper gasket sealant on all exhaust gaskets, is that the same as the Loctite 2 gasket sealant that came in the installation kit??

Re: Carb Spring

use the same length color spring that came out of the carbs. There are four different ones so make sure you use the correct one. It will affect the pop off pressure of the needle and seat. You should use a pop-off tester and check them before you return the carbs to service.

I normaly use yamabond 2 on the carb gaskets. It has worked for me.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

THanks, only thing is, the spring in the carb is slightly smaller than both...I'm guessing it matches the new smaller spring, and is just slightly smaller due to use?

Comment

It should have the same finish. gold, black, shiny silver or dull silver.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I was told not to change the springs. cause if you do you gotta check and change your pop off.. me personally it was 2 late and i got a pop off gauge. I highly recommend them because I didnt knoe my N&S were leaking til i put a pop off gauge on them to find they couldnt hold any pressure what so ever
          98 Seadoo XP L, 04 Seadoo RXP, 96 Seadoo HX HTTP://community.webshots.com/album/109056464fXgNkM

Comment

Don't the springs lose their resilience (springyness) over time though?

Comment

No the springs do not get weaker.

Do not change from the stock springs unless you are changing to aftermarket flame arrestors, and have a pop-off pressure gauge to set it with. The shorter springs are not the same as the longer springs.

Our current SBN kits are exactly like OEM Mikuni and only come with 2 of the 4 springs. The other two are rarely used, and turned out to be wasted parts, as they are not something you replace during a normal rebuild.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok, and the 2 springs in the kit still do not quite match the one in there, which should I use?

Comment

As I said, you use the ones that are in there. The kit does not include the springs in there stock, nor do you replace them.

Comment

Grr...wish I would've known...thank you!

Comment

I have read the benefits of priming the carbs, is this the same as the choke and giving the throttle some fuel when starting??

Comment

Yes.

Some skis are hard to start cold (Yamaha 1100, 1200non-pv especially) and the choke systems don't work very well (due to high pop-off pressure). On a stock engine you can either drop pop-off pressure a little bit or replace the choke with primer.

Comment

Ok, my 98's have never been too terribly hard to start, a little effort at times, but at this age, I probably shouldn't worry about it?

Comment

Can I use one of the gasket sealants in my install kit on the carb mount gaskets??? And in the instructions from SBT it calls for a copper sealant on all exhaust gaskets, that Loctite 2 in the install kit is that it?

Comment

Use High-Tach on intake gaskets. No copper treatment is not loctite 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X