Looking for somemone who had similar experience with XLT 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for somemone who had similar experience with XLT 1200

I was prepping a 2003 XLT 1200 for a customer and the water lockout box blew up. The unit was fresh out of the crate. Anyone have the same experience? Please contact me. Anyone heard of anyone else with the same experience, please ask them to contact me.

Here are pictures of what the explosion did to the lockout box. (That is if I attatched them properly)

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ntid=711&stc=1
    Attached Files

Re: Looking for somemone who had similar experience with XLT 1200

was it hard to start? I had same thing happen to early Kaw 440 stand up ski with bad ignition. Popped everyone's ears in whole dealership!

Comment

Yeah it was hard to start. Did you have your cover on or off? Mine was off as per instructions on the sticker, and my ear is permanently popped.....nerve damage.

Comment

no, my cover was off.

Is this a brand new ski out of the crate?
        What sticker are you refering to?

Comment

could it be backfire thru the carbs, blowing the intake? Seems plausible if lots of fumes built up in there from pumping the accel pump and it not starting...
          97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
          dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

David3aces, Yup, it was brand new out of the crate. 2003 model. 2002 on up have a sticker by the gas tank, "Remove seat before starting engine to ventilate gas vapors" The explosion seems to be an anomaly for all machines.

Comment

fumes would still build up in the flame arrestor and sound supp system...seat off or on. At least with the seat off you don't blow the ski up. Screw the choke man, i think all skis should come with a primer.

Could the choke cable not be connected leaving the butterflies open and allowing fumes to enter the f/a?
              dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Yeah, the fumes could build up regardless. And like you said, with the seat off it won't destroy the ski, but if I had the seat on, the ski may be shot, but may also still have all my hearing. I think I'd rathe have a ruined ski, than a ruined me, or a ruined customer.

Comment

perm damage means u need a lawyer.

I dont go for frivolous lawsuits but yours isn't frivolous.
                  dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

glad I own a 4 stroke....Is this happening to customers as well?....These are exhaust system parts not intake parts?.....am I missing something....fumes were inside exhaust system not intake/air box

Comment

I have never heard of that happening. The only way I can see it happening is from a very bad intake backfire from excessive fuel and/or a cracked reed.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Dav_dman, Yeah I need a lawyer, but believe it or not, that's easier said than done. That's part of the reason I posted to see if it's happened to anyone else.

David3aces, No, it doesn't happen with fourstrokes. Still not sure exactly what the problem is since we can't purposely duplicate it.....like I said before, it's an anomoly. Makes sense on older machines, especially ones sitting around awhile. Carbs get gummed up, fuel builds up, and KABOOM! New out of the crate, though, sure is strange. I've had a few reports of it happening to customers, but again, on older machines.

Comment

Working...
                        X