X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yamaha 2000-GP1200: HELP!!!

All 3 plugs not sparking...CDI?

What are referring to with "block"

I tested the plugs on the twin ski I have and they sparked fine...

but on my ski with the new motor it turns over but no spark to start it up.

What should I look for?
    Last edited by cwehse; 03-21-2005, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Umm...I wasn't blaming the block, I was searching for help in troubleshooting.

Comment

I already gave you a list of things to check.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

battery voltage = 12.7

connections = everything looks good

cables = look good

plug wires = not sure how to check, doubt all 3 would simultaneosly go bad

new plugs = tried new plugs in it, tried the plugs from the no firing ski into my other and they sparked...

What else would you suggest?

Comment

I would suggest a new battery first. 12.7 is low. Swap with your other ski real quick. Ignitions turn off when voltage is low.

Comment

Ok, will try and let you know.Thanks.

Comment

Ok...troubleshooting...pulled the engine out, took off flywheel cover. I found that the woodruff key had apparently pushed out when I was orginally installing the flywheel...I'm assuming this messing up the timing led to no spark? It certainly can't be good.

Comment

Pushed out as in not there?

Keys don't do a thing except line up the flywheel for installation. You don't even need one.

If you had any shearing movement it was from the flywheel itself spinning. Ususally due to improper installation such as debris on the taper or not correctly torquing the bolt.

Comment

No, it was present, stuck to the inside of the flywheel. Ok, so you think is wasn't torqued down enough? Would that cause no spark?

Comment

That means you didn't line it up properly, pushed it out the back when you put the flywheel on, and also failed to torque the bolt properly if the flywheel spun. Also check the pickup and stator for debris - it must be perfectly clean.

Comment

i personally use a small dab loc tite to hold key in place. wipe clean check for burs, carefully slide back on as sometimes the magnatism will work against you. if its still in the boat i will check with a mirror to see if its still there. or use a small piece of wire like a paper clip. slide it up the keyway on the flywheel it should stop when it touches your woodruf key. if not it rolled up and out when the flywheel went on.flywheel can rotate on taper while tightning nut. messing up your timing. once seated and torqued tapers hold tight. sorry you had troubles. good luck.

Comment

Also inspect the crank seal behing the flywheel and make sure when it pushed out it didn't dig into the seal.
                          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Will do guys, thanks so much, I'll let you know what happens.

Even though the indentations where the key should be are lined up it still probably slipped? To me, if they're still lined up...it suggests that the loose key messed with the coils? Even though I saw no visible damage.

Definitely a bummer...something so small in the beginning of the install leading to breaking it back down.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by cwehse; 03-22-2005, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Ok...Found that I didn't notice the old woodruff key on the inside of the flywheel when installing...it did not actually come loose, I did use the one that came with the new motor and it was in place and everything was torqued down fine. SO, visibly there was nothing wrong with the internals of the flywheel area (stator, coil, etc.). I removed the second key (which was intact and didn't appear to have chipped off into there) Re-assembled, and tested, still no spark...The only thing I could find in the Yami svc manual for the stator any coil was instructions for measuring the ohms for the "lighting coil" I think I know what two green wires it's referring to, am I supposed to open the CDI or the flywheel to get contact? Or perhaps I should be troubleshooting some other way??? Very frustrating.

Comment

seems to me old key must have nicked stator and damaged it. I know a guy that might have a used one Joe 727-488-5353.....He might have a CDI also.....He is in Seminole.

Comment

Working...
                                X