No announcement yet.

Need more ultra 150 help, dead starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more ultra 150 help, dead starter?

At first I thought it was a bum battery. When I try to start her, the crank may turn over once or twice, or just almost turn over. The display goes out, then when I stop it comes back with a low battery warning. I've already bought a new battery, and had them both on chargers overnight (and they showed good). I'm pretty sure the batteries are good.

I think there's a chance my starter got fouled with bilge and/or oil. I don't know how to replace it, or even where it is (I think it's up front, to the right, just under the cylinders).

What I'm really pissed about is seeing the first beautiful weekend from the shore. :(

Re: Need more ultra 150 help, dead starter?

With plugs out, try to turn engine over by hand before replacing starter!

Comment

Originally posted by David3aces
      With plugs out, try to turn engine over by hand before replacing starter!
      what do I twist to do that? Do I pull the pump (again, ugh) and try to turn the shaft?

Comment

you can fit your hand between the engine and coupler. The startor on an ultra is very hard to get to and very hard to replace. Are all the connections clean? Check both battery termanals, the negitive post on the startor as well as both positive connections at the rear electric box. But take the plugs out and see if the startor spins faster. A startor normally won't lose power, they either work or they are dead. So somewhere you are losing voltage to the startor. Try and connect the positive lead to the startor directly to the battery. You should beable to remove the cable from the rear box easily. I would look over EVERY connection before you start ripping things out of the ski. If you take the startor out you will find a mess of oil all over the place.
        Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
        2002-1100STX DI
        2004-15F
        2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Yeah I was able to pull the coupling. The engine still won't start. I shouldn't be able to turn the shaft and engine by hand, right?

I checked the positive wire from the battery on down. No corrosion, but it seems I have some oil in my bilge, not far from the starter. If I had more in there, it could have fouled the starter even after I drained it.

I can reach around and grab onto the starter, but I seriously doubt I could replace it without pulling the engine. Ugh.

Comment

If there is oil by the starter then you may have a leak or something wrong with the Bendex. You should be able to turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out. If you can't turn it over then I think you may have a bad bendex, or the starter is not seated correctly.
            Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
            2002-1100STX DI
            2004-15F
            2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Ugh, pulling the pump again, yay!

Comment

Well I feel stupid.

I pulled the plugs, cranked the starter, and nearly drowned.

Now the engine spins free. I fogged down the cylinders and am letting it dry out. Ugh, I need a LOT more experience with two-cycles.

Comment

Sorry, but your engine is toast if it's been that way this long. Pull it out.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

That really sucks, sorry to hear that, well your at the right website:)

Just kidding around, and he is dead right, but kinda funny how the man from the Engine Re manufacturing Company was the first one to tell you it was toast
                    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                    2002-1100STX DI
                    2004-15F
                    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

it's funny how many skis i get at my place with so called flat batteries, dead starters and jammed props only to find them full of water
                      and some times they ring their usual machanic on saturday and they get told to bring it in on monday (so i can take $2000 plus off you) and we'll have a look at it. I usually don't let them go without starting it first
                      be good,
                      if you cant be good,
                      be carefull
                      if you can't be carefull,
                      buy a pram

Comment

you can't knock TS, hes only stating the obvious. He's prob seen more bum motors from water intrusion than Ive seen SKIS.

Anytime my ski did anything out of the ordinary removing the plugs would be the FIRST thing I do. Usually they tell a story and you can figure out whats wrong from there. With that in mind I also ALWAYS carry an extra set of gapped plugs whenever I ride. You never know. I did have to change them once off-shore after flooding the engine and the plugs were oil soaked. Saved my butt that day.
                        98 Seadoo XP L, 04 Seadoo RXP, 96 Seadoo HX HTTP://community.webshots.com/album/109056464fXgNkM

Comment

I wasn't knocking him
                          Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                          2002-1100STX DI
                          2004-15F
                          2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Don't let that motor dry out. Start it ASAP. If you let the air into it, it will rust if it hasn't allready.

I got a 550 Jetski in here that had been sitting for 3 months completely full of water to the sparkplug holes. Even the magneto was full of water.

I removed the clyinder and mag cover. Other than a bit of rust on the clyinder wall above one piston, no rust anywhere else inside of the motor. The flywheel was rusty, but I cleaned it up.

I put the motor back together and it would not quite start. So I removed the clyinder again and bored it 1st over with new pistons and rings and it runs like new again. Air is the enemy.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM
                            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

She works great.

i didn't come back to read the thread after I posted that. I'd fogged it down with oil and let it sit a while. Then I came back and ran the starter for a while, fogged it down after. Did that a few times over a couple of hours. Then I got it primed up (took quite a while to get it to catch with the choke on), hooked it to the hose, and ran her for five or ten minutes. Did the same thing in the morning.

Then I took her out this evening for a couple of hours. I went nice and slow at first, not sure if I could trust her. But she handled it well, and after an hour or so I had her up to full throttle doing a good 65 mph out on the bay.

I'm no two cycle expert, but I'm pretty sure I'm unbelievably fortunate to have it even turn over, let alone running great.

Comment

Working...
                              X