1st ride since purchase - problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st ride since purchase - problems

I bought a '00 GTX (17hrs) and a '01 RX (24hrs) I took them out for the first time since purchase yesterday.

The GTX ran great to me, 63 mph on the speedo and 6750 on RPM's. Is that about right?

The '01 RX bogged down and you had to feather the throttle to get it to go. Once it went it did 60 mph and 6820 RPM's. Is that about right?

The other problem it had is when you went from full throttle to idle then back to full throttle, it would die. If you caught it before it died and pulled choke, it would straighten out and run on up. It would idle fine all day.

If it died, you had to choke it and it would start right up and go.
    If you didn't choke it, it would just crank and crank and not run.
    The RX had a half a tank of old (age unknown) gas in it and I topped it off before riding with 6 gals of BP 93 octane.

What do you think it is?

Also anyone know of a good shop in the Atlanta, Ga or Anderson SC area?

Thanks in advance
    Randy

UPDATE: Both ski were brought to a local SeaDoo dealer before purchase and given a "spring tune up" The invoice says they did a 10 hr service. I requested that they clean the RAVE valves but they said with the low amount of hours on them, it wasn't needed.

I cleaned the RAVE valves after I rode and they were nasty on both skis, lots of carbon and oily goop. I also checked the plugs, they were coffee brown colored with a little bit of black oil stain on the curved part of the electrode.

Regards
    Randy
    Last edited by IrishWake; 03-14-2005, 01:12 PM. Reason: More Info

Re: 1st ride since purchase - problems

You mentioned on pwc today that the gas in the rx was old but you wernt sure how old. This could easily be you problem ########################The '01 RX was a different story, 24 hrs on the ski, hadn't been run much in the last year or so. Both ski's had a "spring tune up" at the dealer prior to purchaser.The RX had about a half a tank of older gas, age unknown and I put 6 gals of 93 octane in before I launched.
    Last edited by julrich; 03-14-2005, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Julrich, thanks for the fill in. You're correct, the '01 RX had about a half a tank of old gas in it and I topped it off with 6 gals of BP 93 octane before riding. The '01 RX has 24 hrs and the GTX has 17. Thanks for the additional info.

So you think that it as simple as bad gas?

Regards
      Randy
      Last edited by IrishWake; 03-14-2005, 01:13 PM. Reason: Addtional Info

Comment

Its what I would look at first.
        Last edited by julrich; 03-14-2005, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Your accellerator pump nozzels are clogged up in your RX.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Clogged up with only 24 hours on ski. man thats gotta suck.

Comment

If the skis sat for a while with untreated gas in them then it doesn't matter if they only had a couple of hours on them. If that gas dried out in the carbs it could easily gum / varnish up and cause problems. New gas alone won't help that much.

In the Atlanta area Jet Thrust Performance has a good reputation. The're in Lawrenceville, GA which is about 25 miles or so east of Atlanta. I've not used them though so I cannot give any first hand reccomendations.

Dave
              Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                Your accellerator pump nozzels are clogged up in your RX.
                Thanks to all for the replies. Does clogged accellerator pump nozzles mean a carb rebuild or how would I go about repairing them?

Also how does the speed and RPM's look for the two ski's?
                Thanks
                Randy

Comment

Often, just unclogging the nozzels will fix the problem, but I would wonder if maybe there are other things clogged up too, like the internal fuel filters in those carbs.

Yes, your rpms and speeds are about right for those two skis.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Bill, thanks for your attention to my problem. you have been most helpful in the few other posts I've made as well.

I dropped the ski off at a nearby shop, Jet Thurst Performance in Lawrenceville and he said the same as you did. I told him to rebuild the carbs.
                    Is there anything else that should be done while it's at the shop?

Thanks again,
                    Randy

Comment

I'm sure if there is, he will tell you about it.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

Well talk about service. In by 3 out by noon the next day.
                        You were right it was the accelerator pumps that were clogged..
                        What is the going rate to pull carbs, rebuild them and reintall?
                        Regards
                        Randy

Comment

I get between $200 and $250, depending upon the situation of what it takes to repair them.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

The shop charged me 4 hrs, 78 dollars an hour. I thought it was fair.

Comment

No rebuild kits? No needles and seats? Wow! I need to raise my rates.
                              Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X