Does anyone know what model this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what model this is?

A friend of mine is looking at this fixer upper (engine seized) Kawasaki jet ski. It doesn't have any model designation. It was made in 1989. Any other specs and buy or pass judgement would be appreciated. What he likes about the ski is that it reminds him of a scooter which he collects.

Thanks

Dan

Re: Does anyone know what model this is?

There ya go...
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

1989 Kawasaki TS (tandem Sport). 650cc engine. Reliable block, not so much a fun ski to ride. Worth a few hundred in perfect condition, plus trailer.

Comment

Thanks I just called him to give him the good news. He's getting it from a neighbor who has had it in storage in his car port for a few years. He's paying $100 w/o trailer. He wanted to know if maintenance parts are still easy to get as I'm sure he will need to rebuild the carbs and maybe starter etc the usual drill on these old timers. Is $100 too much:p It also has a small hairline crack on one of the rear fins (above the water line 3") otherwise the hull looks fine.

Here is a closer look at what you'll be getting fresh off his camera:

Comment

Yes all parts for that are still freely available.

Comment

The TS, Tandem Sport was made from 1989 through 1996. All are 650'S and I think all years are pretty much identical except for the decals. I had a 92 with aftermarket ride plate and intake and it was a fun starter ski for cheap money. If your friend could find one in running condition for cheap money I would recommend it as a starter ski. But, buying one with a seized engine is not a good idea in my opinion. I used the good engine and pump from my TS in another ski which is still running. I have since bought 3 other TS models with bad engines and parted them out. The parts sell for more on Ebay than the whole ski. Trying to turn a TS with bad engine into a running ski can quickly become very expensive and the end result most likely is not worth the time and money. I see from the picture it looks like the seat base has already been repaired. I have yet to see a TS without a cracked seat base, unless it was never used. Still usable that way but interesting that they all seem to crack. If they have a lot of salt water use the metal water pipe that brings cooling water to the engine rots out and is a pain to replace. It runs through the hull and enters on one side, crosses over and exits on the opposite side. There is no opening in the hull to replace it easily.
            *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
            Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

lol that does look like a motor scooter
              98 Seadoo XP L, 04 Seadoo RXP, 96 Seadoo HX HTTP://community.webshots.com/album/109056464fXgNkM

Comment

I have a 1990 kawasaki 650 ts looking for parts for it, one in picture overall still looks in great shape

Comment

That looks like it has a Coffman's Exhaust system on it, a High compression Mariner head and an aftermarket flame arrestor, I'll bet that is a 38mm or 44mm carb on it to feed the head and exhaust. Just those parts alone are worth $400.00. The Blue book on that ski would be around $900.00 with the mods and without a trailer. I like the TS because of its stability. You can haul coolers, skis, fishing poles, and whatever else you want. I keep my TS around just for that purpose when I am not on the GP1200.$100.00 even with a blown motor is extremely fair (IMHO). You can part out the aftermarket stuff an ebay and quadruple your money. If the stuff is in good shape of course. I wish I can run across deals like this.

Comment

Working...
                  X