Sea Doo 951 Silver Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Doo 951 Silver Engine

Called SBT on a Monday asked if they had Sea Doo silver 951 engine in stock. They did and said that they would ship it to me that same day. I received it the next day at 10:00 AM (excellent!). It came complete with installation instructions.
    The instructions were easy to follow, and the installation went well. I did encounter a problem with one stripped exhaust manifold bolt hole. I called SBT and reported my problem, and spoke with Aaron, and Julie. They advised me to purchase a Heli-Coil kit locally, and they would reimburse me. I did exactly that, and sent in a copy of my receipt. I was reimbursed the next day (awesome!). So I finished my installation.
    The engine came to life the first time I tried starting it, and I was ready to take it to the water. I followed the break-in instructions, and all went well. The engine is running strong.

The next week I decided it was time to put my billet head back on now that I know the engine is running well. So, I removed the head I noticed two big problems. The first was that someone forgot to reinstall the factory dowel pins. These pins ensure that the head is located squarely over the cylinders. The second problem was that all of the head studs were installed/removed with pliers. The threads were destroyed approximately halfway down the threaded part of the stud. I was concerned because when I install my new head I might reach the recommended torque value before the nut contacts the surface of the head, and the head was not tight to the cylinders. Also, the head would not be located squarely over the cylinders.
    So I contacted SBT again, and spoke with Aaron in Tech support. He advised me that SBT does not reinstall the dowel pins during their assembly process, and assured me that they have the correct tool for installing the head studs. I asked him to send me the dowel pins. He said that if I wanted the dowel pins that I would have to purchase them from a Sea Doo dealer. He did not mention anything about correcting the problem with the head studs or reimbursing me for the dowel pins.
    SBT needs to take a good look at their assembly process. I believe it is critical that the dowel pins are reinstalled during the assembly process on every engine, and that all threads are chased or replaced.
    I was a very happy customer until this happened. At this point I am also concerned about the reliability of this engine. Who knows what other corners have been cut during assembly.
    Most customers would not take the head off their new engine. I was not concerned about the warranty, and wanted the additional power on a fresh engine. Now, I’m going to purchase the dowel pins, and one die to chase the threads on the studs to correct these problems.
    Do I still get the free shirt?

[ October 20, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: speedfrk ]

Speedfrk,
    I brought up your concerns to our quality assurance staff and I was informed that we do use the dowel pins to align the head. I can get these out to you ASAP as well as your T-shirt, but I will need you to contact us so we can get the correct mailing information. As for the cylinder studs, we would like it if you could possibly email pictures of the studs to info@sbtontheweb.com so we can better handle your situation.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X