Crankshaft locating dowel pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft locating dowel pins?

While rebuilding my 97 1100 STX engine, I noticed that I had 2 small dowel pins (they are not the pins for the carb/intake manifold joining area) left after assembling and installing the engine into the ski. After looking through the book and online the only 2 I cannot remember being aware of were apparently located in the upper crankcase half. According to the picture it appears that they belong on the inside of the crankcase and possibly fit into holes on the crankshaft bearings. So to my questions, is my analysis correct? If it is (and I am fearing the worst on this one) is there any other way to install them without tearing the engine apart again? Are they vital to engine operation? Can I re-use the gaskets I would be removing (engine has never been started just put together and installed in the ski)? Thank-you in advance for your help.
    JD

-Work hard, Play harder-

Re: Crankshaft locating dowel pins?

Think you may be screwed on this one dude. The pins are a neccessary item as they lock the outer bearing shell inplace in the case halfs. As to reusing gaskets I would not attempt it. I do not recall if the pins insert into the upper case half or the lower. If they go into the lower you may be able to flip the motor and just split the bottom case half off, insert pins and reseal with yamabond and leave the topend together. If they locate in the case top half I fear a total tear down and reassembly is in order

Comment

Working...
    X