Driveshaft Alignment Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft Alignment Tool

I read the thread about the critical nature of engine alignment (95 SLT 750). However, the question was never really answered concerning the possibility of purchasing or leasing the tool.

Isn't the tool just a shaft the diameter of the impeller shaft with splines on one end that mates with the engine coupler?

Am I correct in the way I am visualizing this process:

1. Pull Pump and remove driveshaft.
    2. Remove Impeller and Impeller Shaft from pump.
    3. Remove driveshaft support bearing assy.
    3. Bolt pump housing back on boat.
    4. Shove the tool through impeller bearings and observe the fit and alignment as it approaches the engine coupler.
    5. Shim engine mounts for best fit.

This seems like a fairly simple tool, where can I obtain one?

Re: Driveshaft Alignment Tool

The Polaris tool is only available from a dealer. It's cheaper to just have them do it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I don't trust them, they are a bunch of clowns.

They most likely would just "eyeball" it, like they told me to do, then charge me for two hours labor.

Do you know of anyone trustworthy in the Fort Worth, Tx area.

Comment

in my opinion tech support is very right,cheaper for dealer to align it or someone with a tool. and you are also right. simple tool,but not so simple to make.if you are interested this is how i do it. I cheat .I work in a machine shop.if you have access to a good lathe. cut a piece of material long enough to go through coupler, pump ,and some left over for you to grab onto. i like 1040 or 4140 instead of cold roll 1018. center drill one end. short chuck other end grabing only about 1/2 inch or so . you dont need splines so turn back enuogh so the shaft will slide into the coupler and then some. the od of the shaft will be the same as the miner diameter of the splines. minus lets say .001-.002 thousands. turn back the rest of the shaft to fit the id of your two pump bearings. shoot for same tolerance.the tighter the fit, the more acurate your alignment tool will be. remember you left your shaft long enough for a hand hold. you dont need to machine this part but you could knurl it . now it looks like a tool.you will probubly need to use a steady rest or follower rest to keep from vibrating while machining. then go to dealer and tell him you will do his alignment jobs for him at an inflated price. kind of like the EVINRUDE vid. my wife and my mother gut rolled while watching that one. lots of luck. ps my polaris dealer told me the same thing. now i have an alignment tool and they still dont.

Comment

Frisbee,

I am with you! I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and it is not uncommon to have one time items made. I do not have access to a suitable machine shop, but I have a beer drinking buddie that does (after business hours).

He had some suitable scrap material from a previous job.

I showed him what I needed, gave him a coupler to measure, the bearing I.D. and sent him running. Should have a tool this weekend. Total cost = 24pk Bud Light.

Comment

Couldn't the tool be made from aluminum instead of steel? Easier to make and easier to use?

Comment

I work in a machine shop and made one out of aluminum and I made it in three pieces so I do not have to remove the impeller. One piece fits into the impeller splines. One piece fits into the PTO coupler and the other piece is a sleeve that aligns and slides over the other two. So I do not have to remove the out drive to lift and shim the motor. Just slide the sleeve. Lift and shim the motor and slide the sleeve to check alignment.

Comment

If there is a will, there is a way.

LOL, its funny that I am not alone in the quest to avoid a dealer's shop.

Comment

I have an old drvieshaft that could work the sleeve method only issue would be getting a sleeve or piece of pipe to fit snugly over the shaft.

Comment

An old drive shaft will not work because the splines are rounded to allow movement you need some thing that is ridged in the impeller and crankshaft output.

Comment

I'm good to go now.

Have custom made one piece tool now, as described earlier in post.

Fits inside splines and through pump bearings nice and snug.

It was no biggie for me because I had already pulled impellers and impeller shafts from both of my boats that I am working on.

The 3 piece tool is a good idea, but came along too late to help me, LOL. Thanks for sharing your ideas. If there is a will, there is a........................

Comment

bridude67, Care to make another and sell it to me?

Comment

I had a friend that works in a machine shop make it. I'll ask. He made mine with scrap stainless stock material he had laying around. (I paid a case of beer for it)

Comment

I will buy 2 cases of beer... lol

Comment

Does anyone have the exact dimensions they used for the coupler end or the bearing end? I measured...
                              .701 coupler end
                              .786 bearing end

Comment

Working...
                              X