96 Slt 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Slt 700

I own a 96 SLT 700 and ever since I bought it I have never had it running correctly. I could not get power out of it and when it did run it would only go a short time and would leave me swimming back to shore. I had it diagnosed and the dealership said it was the CDI so I elected to upgrade the ignition system using the Gen III Kit which I thought would fix the problem. Well it didn't so I continued to work on it and found the rear piston had no compression it was siezed and the cylinder walls were scored on both the intake and exhaust sides. I replaced the pistons with Wiesco pistons and had the cylinders boared to match the new pistons and just to be safe I removed the oiling system and premixed the oil at a 28:1 ratio to ensure adequate lubrication. Well today I rode it for the second time since I replaced the pistons and guess what the rear piston siezed again. I am wondering if the connecting rod is bent or if the crank is bent, or maybe the timing is off although it runs strong and smooth when it runs but then it stops and looses compression. I am at my witts end with this piece of junk can anyone provide any info I am out of ideas.

Re: 96 Slt 700

actually the domestic 700 is a really good motor in my opinion.there was an update on the cdi which you had done. you need to find out what the problem is before you seize another piston.some things to check are, fuel cap threads and rubber washer. do you have water in your gas tank. check your fuel filter water seperator.if the red ring floats there is water in there.pull clean and rekit your carbs are have a shop do this for you.you could also check your reeds while you have the carbs off. pressure test engine. i personally would not have gone wiseco in a rec boat. chances to great for cold seizure. especially if you do not warm up engine long enough.28-1 on oil thats rich. just remember the more oil you run in premix the leaner your fuel mixture will be. you are runing both gas and oil through the jets now instead of just gas. more oil wont gaurantee against seizure. you will have to pull the limiter caps off the mixture screws if you need to adjust. check to make sure you are running correct spark plug, better yet ,invest in a polaris shop manual ,i think i spent around 40 bucks for mine. i buy one for everything i own. good luck with your boat.:)

Comment

I think I may have found the problem I think that the thermostat was not allowing cool water to circulate through the engine I removed the thermostat and tossed it and checked the entire cooling system for any blockages. I also took my piston and head and had the two measured and the engine shop told me that I had adequate space between the cylinder and the piston approximately .006. When it comes to the carb after the seizure I removed the new plugs and they were golden brown as they should be which tells me I have the correct carb settings according to the shop manual which I use quite frequently. I think I covered my bases is their any other things I am not considering such as a possible bent connecting rod or anything like that.

Comment

on my sl700 polaris found that the heads had issues with them sealing with the oring gaskets, it was sucking air in and causing it to blow every time, i lost two motors before polaris finally replaced the whole engine as a warranty, since i bought the bike it never ran correctly, i know where the bike had been since i saw it come out of the crate the day i bought it. something to keep in mind, with it sucking air it cause cyl failure.

Comment

Working...
        X