Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Keihin Carb is in the 2000 PRO1200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Keihin Carb is in the 2000 PRO1200?

Never use loctite inside a carb.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
      Never use loctite inside a carb.
      One in agreement with me!:p

Doug

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks!

On that same level, I noted "green" loctite? on the screws that held the fuel pump side on the carbs. I guess green loctite is available at the auto parts store? Didn't see it at Walmart, where I got blue for the reed cage bolts the other evening.

Comment

"green" Loc-Tite is a bearing locker type Loc-Tite that I get at a bearing store.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

The green residue you see on your bolts is not green loctite from a bottle. There are green and pink pre-applied low and medium strength formulas that come on many bolts OEM. ONLY use blue, medium strength on your engine parts.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I got them done tonight, along with the two fuel pumps too :) I used blue loctite, only on the regulator cover screws on the outside. The fule pump screws were still well coated with the green semipermanent stuff and tightened up nicely.

All screws nice and snug now. When I took the two leaking carb's diaphragms off and held them up to the light, I saw a very tiny hole in each one. Guess the screws wore through just about exactly the same time.

Again, thanks.;)

Comment

Originally posted by ShowMePro1200
                When I took the two leaking carb's diaphragms off and held them up to the light, I saw a very tiny hole in each one. Guess the screws wore through just about exactly the same time.

Again, thanks.;)
                Same thing just happened to me as I was rebuilding my sl750 a couple of weeks ago. I held the diaphragms up to the light, and one out of the three had two little holes in it. It's a shame too because the whole **** carb was spotless (needles, seats, carb body). I didn't want to spend $35 plus shipping on a rebuild kit, so I ordered just the disaphragm from watercraftwerks for like $25 bucks. I should be good to go.

Doug

Comment

Got everything back together now, motor started right up, seems to idle much smoother, hoping to he11 it runs alright on the water tomorrow. I didn't change the low speed needle settings, no high speed needle to mess up, re-used the same spring and regulator arm (lever?) so the geometry of the internals should have stayed the same as before. New included needles, the little plastic buttons on the diaphragm side of the levers, diaphrams, and all gaskets.

Anyone who knows me knows that when I'm idle I start "thinking". Two questions:

1 - The gaskets below between the carbs and intake manifold had adhesive on one side, I presume for the benefit of easier and more accurate placement of the carb rack on the manifold. I set these adhesive side down on the manifold. Should I have sprayed hi-tack adhesive on the other side of these gaskets, where they mate with the bottom of the carb bodies? Or does this really matter, since I torqued the rack down nice and snug?

2 - If the machine shows signs of stumblng when I get it on the water, I would make an educated guess the carbs are set on the rich side, since the metering is the same and the fuel pumps and carbs are moving the fuel/air mix at (hopefully) top efficiency. Is that a good presumption? I hope it runs fine, and I don't have to mess with the low screws at all, but getting mentally prepared to tweak (only just a little bit though, no blowups here).

Thanks in advance.:)

Comment

They can't be that hard of questions - everyone still out on the lake/river/ocean???:)

Comment

1 - you should never reuse intake gaskets. As to your reinstall, it doesnt matter what side went where.

2 - no point guessing at a problem that may or may not exist. Deal with what ever happens when it happens.

Comment

1 - I was talking about new gaskets. They had adhesive on one side, wondered if I should have put high-tack on the other side for full seal to the carb bodies.

2 - Just trying to look ahead. Hard to post from a place with no pc.

Thanks.

Comment

OK new gaskets good. Sticky side down is fine. Personally I high-tach both sides but it shouldn't be critical if the parts are in good condition.

Comment

Okay, sounds good. Just don't want to blow anything up - I do have the carbs evenly torqued.

I'll cross the "running-bad" bridge if and when it comes (hope not). I'm jus somewhat nervous cause I have never touched these carbs before. I know the motor starts much quicker, hopefully the on-water test will be just as successful.

Comment

Working...
                            X