FX140 Check Engine Light Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX140 Check Engine Light Warning

Just took the covers off my two FX140's from the winter to get them started. After running the second PWC for 5 minutes on the hose I got a check engine light warning. Any ideas what could be going wrong? I winterized both of them the same way with fogging oil down the intakes until white smoke was coming out the exhaust. Also put stabilizer in the fuel and had no problem starting both. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: FX140 Check Engine Light Warning

There is nothing you can check yourself for that - you will need to see a dealer. It is probably just a bad sensor if it's running alright.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hold both buttons down for 10-15 seconds Problem code will the appear If it's code #63 it's the engine breathing it's own exhaust. This sometimes happens when I flush mine. Check for exhaust leaks. The wind was blowing exhaust back to my engine compartment! I have the other codes if ya need em.

Comment

check engine warning lights ? how many are there

Comment

There is 1 check warning light

Comment

Ok I held down the two buttons on the panel with the display on and all I got was an "01". Is that a code? Or did I do something wrong? Is there a way to scroll through if there are multiple codes?

Comment

on my service manual I don't see a code 01...could that be a MPH reading?

Comment

One of your sensors might have smelled your fogging spray. Do 4 strokes need fogging spray anyway?

Comment

An 01 indicates 'All is well'.

Seems like you went a little happy with the fogging oil. Recommended is 5 sec each cylinder with engine off and then crank it over once. Could be that you clogged a sensor or fouled up the plugs?

Does this condition repeat?

Comment

ok-how many codes &what are the codes on the check engine warning ?

Comment

Yes it repeats in the location I was running them. This was exhaust out the garage on a windy day so it's possible exhaust fumes blew back. The warning light did repeat on the second run once again around 7 minutes into the run. The only code I get is the 01 code when I push both buttons down at the same time. Is there a way to scroll to another code after the 01 is displayed?

Guess it's possible I used too much fogging oil so maybe I need to check the plugs. I'm planning to take this one out of the garage and give it another run. Should I spray anything down the intakes to help clean things up? Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Fogging oil is for two strokes because they don't have parts running in a bath of oil.
                        Last edited by David3aces; 04-08-2005, 06:31 PM.

Comment

You can not scroll through the codes.
                          I assume you press the switches after the error showed up.
                          Get a manual (ebay ~$10 max.) for all codes.

Comment

You should most definitely fog 4 strokes when not being used for prolonged periods or winterising.

Moisture left in the waterbox and/or exhaust system can create moist air around the exhaust valve exposed below the valve guide. When started again this corroded area goes up into the guide. If an exhaust valve is open, and one is at any one time the motor is off ...this moisture can find its way into the bore and create surface rust on the bore surface. If left long enough could cause corrosion on the upper ring surface ..intake valve head surface ...worst case senario.

From my 05 FX HO Cruiser Owners Manual ...(Storage Section)
                            To fog motor ...

Remove air filter case cover and airfilter ...Spray a rust inhibitor into each intake opening for 3 seconds ... Install the airfilter and airfilter case ..start motor and let it run at idle for 15 seconds.

Regards
                            Anthony
                            Yamaha 05 FXHO Cruiser - 100.5 hrs

Comment

Ok I ran it again this time outside and I got the warning again. While it was still running I held down both buttons on the display and got a code 63. So now what do I look for in an exhaust leak?

Comment

Working...
                              X