Re: 98 GP1200 Carb Tuning

Dave,

Ya read my mind....I was thinking the same thing... =0(

Mike P

Comment

Originally posted by dav_dman
        better chk comp in cyl#2.
        Shouldn't he check the comp on the #3 (PTO) cyl as that is the one that was leaking due to the cracked vacuum line? I assume with no vacuum pulse, the internal fuel pump was not working and starving that cylinder for fuel.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, investigate the cyliner with the line issue?

Comment

my bad, i mis read. pto cyl.
            97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
            dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

I will check the compression tonight...

On my other ski that I rebuilt the carbs...The mag cylinder carb doesn't visually show gas dribbling out when I apply throttle, the other two do. Any ideas?

Comment

Ok, compression on all cylinders = 120.

Now, on the pto cylinder, I noticed that the venturi wasn't dribbling gas.

I had engine run away again after I idled it for a few minutes on the hose.

What I don't understand is that pre break in on the hose, it idled fine and warmed up. Then the first break in tank of gas ran through that, beautiful, ran perfect on the water...then post-run on the hose first engine run away....this SUCKS!...

Comment

I would pull apart the #3 carb... you may have a blockage somewhere, or possibly the fuel pump diaphram is defective.

Comment

Update to this carb issue and need help...

(98 GP1200 Newly rebuilt carbs) Ok when I apply throttle I do see gas spraying from all venturis, just a smidge less in the mag cylinder, and when I let off throttle and it drops back to idle, the pto/center cylinder dribble out a little gas before stopping, and the mag does not dribble at all. I'm trying everything I can before having to take it back apart, I turned the high speed out 1/4 more...didn't do anything. Going tomorrow to run it full speed with new plugs then kill and check plugs.

One unusual thing I noticed...I just put in a new in-line fuel filter a tank or two ago and I see a dark liquid approx. 4 mm high in the bottom of it???

Comment

You have water in your fuel system. Go through the carbs again to get it out, replace your filter, blow out all your lines, mop out the tank.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

By go through the carbs you mean take them apart and clean?

The filter isn't causing a problem right? Can I replace with another identical one?

How do I blow the lines?

I've pulled the fill tube off the gas tank and siphoned the contents out before, is that all I need to do to "mop" it?

Thanks.

Also, how would water most likely enter the system? I DID have a really rough ride on the Clearwater coast just before I rebuilt the carbs...?

Comment

Water usually gets in skis that people refuel on the water - accidentally. Or the fuel cap could be loose, or it could have been in the fuel when you filled up - we've had that happen a few times.

Yes clean the carbs to make sure no water is in them. Yes replace the filter. Blow the lines with compressed air or your mouth. After you siphon the tank, get a grabber and lots of heavy paper towels and mop the tank dry - water goes to the bottom, so if you fail to get it all again, it'll just be there when you fillup - again.
                          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Check your gas fill cap "d" ring seal.

I just replaced mine because it was dry rotted.
                            J-me
                            05 Bayliner 175
                            98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

OK...I understand...The water is probably from last season, I did not know how to store the skis properly, even though I did siphon it out as best I could.

The last trip before I rebuilt the skis the ski would bog and would not accelerate until I let her idle a few moments, probably from the water?

Are you referring to all the lines to blow out, fuel tank, pulse, etc. ?

Thanks for your help man.

Comment

yup. Water out, fresh gas in, keep fingers crossed. If still a problem you have an air leak in
                                1)crankshaft seals
                                2)case seal
                                3)cyl base seal
                                4)intake manifold seal
                                4)carb mount plate seal
                                5)carb seal
                                6)carbs themselves.

one of the above. Dont run it until you get the water out. Runs on again do not run it unless you wanna put new sbt engine in.
                                Last edited by dav_dman; 04-26-2005, 10:25 AM.
                                97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
                                dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X