98 GP1200 Carb Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 98 GP1200 Carb Tuning

Cool..I'll get on it and post the results..

The GOOD NEWS is that the other ski with the new SBT rebuilt motor is running excellent!

Comment

Any advice on where to get a "grabby" tool to mop up the bottom of the tank?

I'm having trouble finding something that will work through the hole where I took the filler tube off from.

Also, the liquid with the gas looks like a red/brown oily substance, is this what happens to water in gas?

Thanks.

Comment

Try a larger auto parts store or Sears.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Reasonable minds may disagree on this, but I keep my fuel tanks full during the winter and make sure the fuel has been treated with plenty of stabilizer. So far, I've never had a problem with condensation or water. Have been doing the same thing with my ski boat for 15 years with the same result. Good luck.
          "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

I use the inside of an old throttle or choke cable. You can ben the end into a small circle and zip-tie and wrag onto the end. It is flexable enough to go down most filler necks and bend around once inside.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

.. or tie a rag (old sock?) to the end of a bent coathanger.

Comment

Thanks guys, I used a coat hanger and rag until it stopped absorbing liquid and I mopped the inside as best I could, I'm sure I got at least 95% of everything out of there.

Comment

If you can.... it would be good if you could rinse out the bottom of the tank with a a few bottles of HEET gasoline dryer/antifreeze. It will help absorb/dissolve any remaining water droplets along with any gums from the old fuel.

Comment

Cool, where can I find that stuff?

Comment

Walmart or any Autoparts store... usually by the cans of carb cleaner

Comment

Ok, tank was emptied and cleaned, new filter filter installed, a fresh 5 gallons put in. And I took it out yesterday to see how it ran. (Had issues of little gas visually going into mag cylinder). Yesterday's results, would hesitate, then transfer to high speed and get up to 45 before being forced to go back to 6-7mph. I tried one more time to get up to speed and killed it, checked the new plugs and they all appeared the same.

Today, I took apart the carb on that cylinder to check my work. Everything was perfect, the only abnormality I found was a gasket that looks as though it tore when I was tightening down the screws, but the tear doesn't seem to be in a critical place.....

Sooooo...what do I look for now?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Still think it is carb related and need to rule that out first. Please post your carb configurations (size of pilot and main jets, size of n/s, popoff pressure and spring size) so we can see if anything obvious shows up.

Comment

Stock sizes on everything. I don't have the equipment to do a pop off test.

Comment

Rebuild them to this setup:

Pilot jets: 100 (all 3 carbs)
                              Main jets: 135 (this is same as stock... but make sure you take them out and thoroughly clean them)
                              N/S: 1.5
                              Spring: 115g (gold)

and make sure the spring arm is flush with the carb body as they show in the rebuild instructions before reinstalling the diaphragm.

Set low & high adjusters to:
                              Lows: #1) 1 1/4 turns
                              #2) 1 1/4 turns
                              #3) 1 1/8 turns

Highs: #1) 1/2 - 3/4 turn
                              #2) 7/8 - 1 turn
                              #3) 1/2 - 3/4 turn

Generally, this will give you a somewhat rich mixture (especially at idle) so you may have to dial them back a tad once you get on the water. But better to be a little rich vs. lean.

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

Do you know if I can get those items easily/separately/affordably ? :) (N/S, spring, pilot jet)

;)

Comment

Working...
                                X