2002 GTX 4-TEC Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2002 GTX 4-TEC Problem

another problem attributed to the infamous "bad gas" routine.

See if you can find out what this "bad gas" supposedly screwed up in the fuel pump and how it is causing erratic fuel pressure. Unless there are particulates blocking the pickup screen, I don't see bad gas causing a fuel pump to fail.

Comment

To close this one out (finally), the dealer replaced the in-tank fuel pump assembly and it runs as good as new (another $550 - $397 for the pump plus labor). He said he found water in the tank (so the bad fuel theory did not hold). He removed the water from the tank and replaced the pump. He told me the water in the tank (which I have no idea were it came from) must have damaged the pump.

Any suggestions on ways to check for water or using some additive to keep this from happening again will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I have had water in the tank from the pump itself, and seen it enter when people refuel on the water...it only takes a little splash. In my case, I know 100% that it was from the station itself. As for additives or prevention - there is no fool-proof way. Just keep an eye on the filter bowl regularly.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How does water accumilate in a gas tank ?
          Besides the obvious things like having water in the gas or the gas containers that are used to fill the tank, in every cubic foot of air, you have water particles, we call it humidity. Like that tararium that you studied in the first or second grade, the water seperates from the air when tempatures drop overnite and puddles in the bottom of the tank.

What you can do:
          Go to an auto parts store and buy a few pints of water despersant and pour it into your gas tank. ( one for each or every other tank of fuel).

Store the boat with a full tank of fuel to reduce the amount of air in the tank.
          Last edited by Bill O'Neal2; 06-02-2005, 03:49 PM.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X