2002 GTX 4-TEC Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 GTX 4-TEC Problem

I brought my 2002 4-TEC in for the 60 hour service (not many hours, hey). Anyway, the dealer changed the spark plugs, oil filter and oil. They also changed some (can't read the work order as it's light) "front bumper plug" (not sure of that description) 291-001-519 and "front ?? ??" 291-001-040. Both of these were just $1.97 each. They also changed some o-rings (large - 420-230-920 and small 420-950-860). They said the battery would not hold a charge and installed a new one. Also "added name in MPEM module and cleared service reset in BOSS WEB for 50 hr". Cost me $375.

Now the problem. First ride of the season Sunday it doesn't go any faster then 30 MPH (although hitting 6000-6500 RPM's) and it's not the Learning Key!

I called the dealer and asked if there was a possibility that they did something to make the key appear as a learning key. They said no and told me to bring it in. Problem is I have to trailer it and drive ~ 100 miles (roundtrip). I'd prefer to get some suggestions to try myself first.

I checked for fault codes this morning (press Set 5 times, etc.) and there are none. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: 2002 GTX 4-TEC Problem

First confirm that they installed the correct sparkplugs. NGK DCPR8-ES

Next, if they overfilled the oil, it will lack accelleration or power. Both the Oil Pressure sensor and the oil seperator pressure switch send a signal to the ECU, if the signal is not correct, it will put the EMS into a "limp" home mode.

Check the oil level on the dipstick when you have the boat level ( lift the trailer tounge to the hieght so that the side bumpers are level). If they overfilled the oil, you need to suck some oil out of the motor or severe engine damage may occur.

If all else fails, have them check it out at the SD dealership. You might want to go to another well known SD dealership, as the first one may not admit to making any mistakes while servicing your ski.

Those part numbers are for bumper plugs and probably oil filter orings.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I will check out your suggestions.

Comment

Bill,

I checked the plugs, they are right (it was a Sea Doo dealer). I also checked the oil. It appeared to be a little high so I removed enough to get it down to 1/4 below the max. Still the same thing. It was interesting that this oil was just changed but it was dark. I wonder if they didn't do a proper drain?

Test riding it afterward, I observed that it would get up to 7500 RPM then (without changing the throttle) it would back down to about 6000 (is this the limp mode characteristic?). If it is in limp mode I suppose it's a sensor.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Sounds like you are mis-fireing on one cylinder. Pull the plugs after a run and see if you can tell wich one is wet with gas. The coil connection plug may be loose from the coil?
          Last edited by dank; 04-20-2005, 04:52 PM.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Too much rpm (6000) for limp mode.

I take it this is not a supercharged model?

Could be a misfiring sparkplug or bad sparkplug connection. Or it could be something totally different.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Thanks dank and Bill,

No this is the 2002 (before the SC model came out).

After making the above post, I went back out to the dock. Rechecked the oil and realized I hadn't removed as much as I thought. I ended up removing another 16 oz. before the top ridges on the dip stick were 'dry'. I tested it, the same.

The 'freshly' changed oil was dark (I save it in a soda bottle). I called the dealer and spoke to him. I told him I thought they did not drain all the oil (per the service manual). He told me he told his 'guy' that he had to start the engine after removing it through the dip stick port (but he apparently didn't do that). He said that the fault was locked in and had to be cleared by the computer before it would run normal. He wants me to bring it in and he will do it while I wait. He said he was also going to change the oil and filter again.

Question: I checked the fault codes via the press SET 5 time's method and there is nothing there. Am I getting the run-around about the fault having to be cleared by the computer? Is it possible or even likely that the oil being overfilled by over 16 ounces caused other damage?

Thanks,

Comment

I don't know what damge may have been done.

Are you sure they know what they are doing? You DO NOT start the motor without oil in it. You hold the throttle wide open when cranking the starter motor. This turns the ignition off so you can crank it over and get the oil out of the rear cover of the motor into the main crankcases where you can suck it out.

Dealerships !

You need to buy the service manual while you are there and DYI next time. You spend more on gas getting there and back than it costs to DIY.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Bill,

You are right (do it myself). Worse yet, I have the service manual (and that was why I was confortable talking to the SD dealer the way I did).

My reference to "He told me he told his 'guy' that he had to start the engine Edit: before removing it through the dip stick port (but he apparently didn't do that)" was based upon the service manual, which stated "Run engine for 10 seconds at 4000 RPM and shut it off at this RPM. This will move oil from PTO housing to oil tank to allow maximum oil draining.". Is this incorrect?

I know now that "Dealers!" are not more diligent that me (as the owner). I will remember this next time.

I really appreciate your help, comments, and candor.

I'll post the end results later this week.

Thanks again,
                  Last edited by patvr; 04-21-2005, 09:28 AM.

Comment

No it is not incorrect to run the motor to 4000 rpm, but that is done BEFORE you suck all of the oil out of the crankcases. BTW, the oil should be warmed up prior to extraction from the motor.

Next suck out the oil from the crankcases, then, using the drowned mode (throttle lever fully depressed while cranking the engine with the starter motor) you need to pump the oil from the rear cover into the crankcases and suck it out again. Do this three times to get as much as you can. You can never get it all, so keep track ( measure) how much you do get, so you will know how much to put back in. When you refill it with oil, you put in most of it, run the motor, shut if off and recheck the dipstick. It should lose a little on the dipstick as it refills the rear cover area of the oil chamers. NEVER OVERFILL THE MOTOR WITH OIL. Any amount over the limit on the dipstick MUST BE REMOVED before you use the watercraft.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

To close this out (I hope), the dealer just called me and told me it's fixed. The problem was with the wear ring and they replaced it. I'm not sure what this will cost since they will have to call me back (I would appreciate it if anyone with some idea would let me know). This obviously had nothing to do with the engine oil being originally overfilled.

The service manual states the wear ring should be checked as part of the 100 hour check and I only had 60 hours on it. Next time I bring it in though, I will spell out exactly what I want checked (per the periodic inspection chart in the service manual).

Although they did not do the oil change right the first time they corrected that the second time.

Thanks for all the help. I learned a lot.

Comment

The 2002 4 tecs had pump flex problems that killed the wear rings in almost no time flat. I never heard of anyone getting 100 hours on a wear ring in that model ski.

IMO, Sea Doo owes each purchaser of that year 4 Tec a new upgraded pump. Most owners end up getting the later pump one way or another.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

It,s Important to check the 4-Tech Oil level per the Manuel. Basically Run the Boat for Several minutes ( I always do 3 Minutes before bringing it on Plane) Then idle for 30 Seconds before beaching it and Check the level with the boat flat in the water as close to 30 Seconds after you shut it off as possible. My 03 SC oil reads 50 % between the high and low marks in my checks and that relates to only 20% with a stone cold engine- Yours MAY vary?
                          "The Hull Makes The Difference"

Comment

Here is a picture of the replaced wear ring. Apparently the black plastic liner is supposed to be covering the complete inner surface. You can see half of it (or better) is gone.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/att...tachmentid=949

Comment

The saga continues. Although the wear ring needed replacement, it still did not perform properly (5200 RPM, just over 30 MPH, no fault codes, and no, it's not the learning key in use).

I brought it back to the dealer. I received a call yesterday that the fuel pump/module is not maintaining tank pressure when water testing. He had to install a pressure gauge then run it in a local lake to determine this. He said the pressure was eratic.

Shell had some bad gas last year (they paid for a lot of vehicle's fuel gauge sending unit replacement including mine). It seems this may be the reason for this failure. Looks like another claim against Shell.

Comment

Working...
                              X