Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost

Okay I've got a 95 900 ZXI and it was sunk (no fault of my own) When spark plugs were removed and cranked water blasted out of the pistons about 12 feet in the air (cool to watch but still sucks) Anyhow flushed the water and with a little help from carb cleaner got it running again. I was told to run it by a friend who was working on it and when I did a spark plug shot out because he didn't tighten them down and I didn't check anyhow before the spark plug mishap everything seemed fine. Afterwards not so good. Took it out yesterday and it struggles to get on plane, but flies on occasion whenever it decides it wants to work, sounds like it is running on 2 cyclinders or misfiring.... Half throttle sounds fine. Anyhow took a look later and the spark plug boots are ziptied to the plug wires (previous owner's fix) my roomate, a mechanic said that this may be my problem... When I pulled the plugs they were black and stunk of gasoline. I am just trying to get an outside opinion on this, please help diagnose the problem

Re: Lost

Did you put new plugs in it?

Comment

They are zip-tied from the factory, get a new mechanic.

Remove the old plugs do a compression check 120-ish is normal lower will cause you problems. If the compression is OK then put new plugs in it and try again.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Check the compression? If the spark plug shot off, it could have stripped the threads on the head
        Jetdude

Comment

It also could have bent the electrode, causing that cylinder to miss.

Comment

Well the plug wasn't tightened down at all I have some experience as far a mechanical stuff goes we did not know that they were zip tied from the factory and the wire pulled out of the boot VERY easily. the compression test may prove helpful. And as far as the bent electrode (what part are you referring to?) and yes they were brand new spark plugs what would you reccomend the gap be for a 95 900 ZXI?

Comment

Were they brand new AFTER you injested the water or before.

Comment

after..... also I would like to know the gap size because when we pulled them out the first time the gap was double that of what a jet ski shop told me to use...

Comment

If they were new after, my theory is thrown out the window. I am not sure of the proper gap size on that ski.

Comment

I will be testing the compression here in a little bit. My roomate (a **** fine mechanic mind you) thinks that the connections to the plugs from the plug wires was bad I am going to strip down the wires and reconnect them as well and then I will ZIP TIE it considering that is OEM? anyhow hopefully this fixes something!

Comment

That is a good step be sure to trim 1/4" off the ends of the wires and screw the plug cap back on the wire. Use a little WD40 on the wire to help you screw it on then put a good zip-tie on to seal out any water.

The water in the cylinder will bend the ground bar up if the water is compressed sometimes and close the gap too much.

Here are the specs for the 96' they sould be the same as the 95'

General Specifications
                      Engine
                      Engine Type 2-stroke, 3-cylinder, Reed valve, Water cooled
                      Displacement 891 cc
                      Bore x Stroke 73.0 x 71.0 mm
                      Compression Ratio 5.5:1
                      Ignition System Magneto CDI (Digital)
                      Lubrication System Oil injection
                      Carburetor Keihin, CDK-II 38 X 3
                      Starting Electric
                      Drive System
                      Coupling Direct drive from engine
                      Jet Pump: Type Axial flow, single stage
                      Thrust 732 lb.
                      Steering Steerable nozzle
                      Braking Water Drag
                      Trim Adjustable
                      Hull
                      Length 2,760 mm
                      Width 1070 mm
                      Height 999 mm
                      Dry Weight 253 kg
                      Draft N/A
                      Fuel Tank Capacity 43 liter including reserve

Model Identification
                      Year & Model ‘96 JH900-A2:JET SKI 900 ZXi
                      Color Jet White/Jet Ski Violet (5V)
                      HIN Range KAW40001596 —
                      Engine No. Range JH900AE000001 —
                      Engine No. Location Top front reed valve housing cover
                      Tuning Specifications
                      Spark Plug NGK BR9ES
                      —Gap 0.7-0.8 mm
                      Ignition Timing 15° BTDC at 1,250 rpm
                      25° BTDC at 3,000 rpm
                      Carburetor
                      Idle Speed 1,250 ± 100 rpm (out of water)
                      Low Speed Needle N/A
                      High Speed Needle N/A
                      Compression Pressure 121 psi
                      JH9spc

Comment

WELL!!!! that may explain something... The gap I was told to use from a PWC shop was .037 considering it should be twice that it makes a ton of sense

Comment

Make sure you set it with a metric gauge not an inch gauge like .037

Comment

Well reseated the plug wires into the boot and gapped them at .7-.8mm and found that they were fairly close to what they were previously gapped at turned the engine over and purred like a kitten but it pretty much did that before the problem was at higher RPM's it acted funny so hopefully I will be able to give it a decent test run today but it's not looking too good.

Comment

Allright started it back up again after redoing the spark plug wires.... It starts up fine but then when I give it gas as long as I am generally under half throttle it sounds fine but when I squeeze the gas it makes a strange noise and there is a lot of smoke out of the back the ski moves but gets to no where near where it should be speed wise hell it won't even get out of the water to get on plane.... I am wondering if it is cavitating though I don't really know full symptoms of cavitation. Then when I pulled it out of the water I revved it and noticed that when I hit full throttle it sounds like it's bogging down from about half throttle.... I am lost and a little pissed considering I am fixing all this damage that I didn't even cause! Any help/advice/thoughts ANYTHING would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X