A few questions from a newbie!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions from a newbie!!

First of all I bought a 96 XP with a rebuilt sbt motor. I ran it and it runs very well. The only thing is that the hull has a good 1.5-2 inches of oil in the rear near the bilge pumps and it seems to be leaking even when it's not running and coming out the drain plug. None of the fittings are leaking from the oil tank, but I can't see under the motor. Any ideas on where the oil may be coming from? My second question is how do you get the gauge nuts off? The speedo's nut is stuck half way on making the gauge loose in the console. The gauge nuts won't turn by hand, and I notice that the mirrors are riveted to the console preventing the top of the console to come off so the guages would be easier to get to. Any ideas on how to remove the gauges or get the nuts to break loose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Creole; 04-21-2005, 12:33 PM.

Re: A few questions from a newbie!!

On the bottom there will be an access panel take that off and then you just have to use a pair of channel locks to turn the nuts while holding the gauge itself. You will need a 5.5mm nutdriver to get the screws out.

Comment

I had the same problem with the trim guage on my '96SPX. It was either siezed or crossthreaded. Either way, I was never able to get it to turn. What I ended up dooing was cutting the siezed nut off (it's plastic) and buying a new one. It's tougher with the XP as you have 3 guages not the 2 I have.
      Sorry, cannot help with the oil problem.
      Dave
      Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

I got the nut to start turning and I managed to get it all the way off. It wasn't cross thread...whoever put the nut on, put it on backwards, so it wasn't going all the way to the top of the gauge. Turned it around and threaded it back on all the way up to snug the guage. Thanks for the help though. Now all I need is this oil thing. Here it is.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Creole; 04-20-2005, 10:03 PM.

Comment

It could be leaking from where the 2 main hoses run from the oil tank to either side of the motor. On the right side you would have to take off the air cleaner. on the left the exh- pipe. Someone may not have screwed in the fitting tight or left the clamp loose when they changed the motor. Also check the two little screws on top of the oil pump on the front of the motor. They hold a cable bracket because if they come loose you will be putting in another motor.

Comment

Usually I find that the metal clamp has been overtightened on the thin plastic oil line where the two larger oil lines attach to the cases.

Other things I find when looking for oil leaks.

The flex hose between the filler cap fitting and the oil tank has loose clamps.

A crack in the oil tank itself ( mostly later model 3 seaters with the long skinny oil tank).

The rubber bushing in the bottom of the oil tank is leaking.

The screws have come loose on the oil pump ( 1995-1996 787 engines).

An oil feeder line between the oil pump and intake manifold is broken ( siezed motor).

The owner overfills his oil tank and it leaks out or clogs up the vent line on top of the tank.

After you clean the rear of the hull of oil puddles, you may get another oil puddle after riding or raising the bow of the watercraft. Oil accumulates under the gas tank ( lowest part of the hull bedliner when the ski is on the trailer). So don't mistake that for an oil leak after you fix the orginal oil leak.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Why does oil accumulate under the gas tank? (Other than the reason explained). Does the motor sling or generate oil in the hull while running? It does look as if the oil is coming from under the gas tank, but all I'm wondering is how it got there and if it is a problem that needs to be addressed. Thanks for all the info...I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I can get the most out of my purchase and how these things work, so I can detect problems, maintain what seems to be a quality rebuild or identify certain warning signs that need to be addressed before bigger problems arise.
              Last edited by Creole; 04-21-2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

It runs to the lowest point in the inner hull. Which is sometimes under the gas tank depending on how level the ski is when it sits on your trailer.

Oil drips from either the hoses or the oil tank when you have an oil leak.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Creole,

I bet thats not oil and is likely a slushie you spilled earlier in the day. Better luck next time.

Comment

Hi Bill,

I have a '96 GTX with an SBT engine in it. I've only run it a few times since the new engine (2 years ago). I have exactly the same (fresh green) oil puddle in the hull after a ride. Since I had the motor out, I assumed it was a loose oil hose.

If it is one of the center case lines, wouldn't it continue leaking until the tank was empty? Mine only seems to leak a certain amount, leaving the tank almost full even after all winter. Is it leaking only while running or maybe is it the flex hose to the tank?

If it is one of the case lines, are you suggesting the clamps may be too tight and tore the hose? I would think I could feel oil there...I don't. Does running the engine cause a pressure increase from the heat or gears turning that can make it leak only when running?

Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                    Usually I find that the metal clamp has been overtightened on the thin plastic oil line where the two larger oil lines attach to the cases.

Other things I find when looking for oil leaks.

The flex hose between the filler cap fitting and the oil tank has loose clamps.

A crack in the oil tank itself ( mostly later model 3 seaters with the long skinny oil tank).

The rubber bushing in the bottom of the oil tank is leaking.

The screws have come loose on the oil pump ( 1995-1996 787 engines).

An oil feeder line between the oil pump and intake manifold is broken ( siezed motor).

The owner overfills his oil tank and it leaks out or clogs up the vent line on top of the tank.

After you clean the rear of the hull of oil puddles, you may get another oil puddle after riding or raising the bow of the watercraft. Oil accumulates under the gas tank ( lowest part of the hull bedliner when the ski is on the trailer). So don't mistake that for an oil leak after you fix the orginal oil leak.

Comment

If you cannot feel or see oil on a dry paper towel, then my guess is you are looking in the wrong place.

If you wipe everything to do with the oil system clean, then wait a few hours, you sholud be able to find your leak.
                      Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

I did a little more checking and it looks like it might be the rubber bushing in the oil tank. I'm assuming it must vibrate enough when running to allow it to leak but stop when parked. For $2, I think it'll just change it.

It's probably a combination of the age plus disturbing all of the oil lines to change the engine that started it.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                        X