No announcement yet.

97Monte Carlo in lake today - bogging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 97Monte Carlo in lake today - bogging?

I bought a Top end rebuild kit...complete with all gaskets required for $229 US.

However, one of my cylinders did not fair too well and has some deep scores in the Nikasil coating. Now looking to find a good used 1000 cylinder to complete the rebuild.

I'm on a budget so buying new or sending it out to be re coated is out of the question at this point.

- Kurt

Comment

OK good you didn't get it from us. I was afraid one of our Sales Reps made a mistake.

Whoever sold it to you failed to tell you some important information. You can not use aftermarket pistons/rings in a stock Tigershark 1000 cylinder.

With nicasil lined cylinders, the clearances are setup by using differently sized pistons/rings, rather than honing such as on a traditional sleeved cylinder. The nicasil lining is only 0.002" - 0.003" thick and can not be honed to size.

If you choose to use aftermarket pistons - of any size - in a nicasil bore, you must sleeve them, or get them recoated to a specific size (which is even more $$).

Sorry, but with a nicasil engine, there is NO cheap way of repairing it, that's the bottom line.

My suggestion is to get three sleeves and take your pistons with them to a machine shop. Expect to pay $400+ to have them sleeved and bored/honed.

Your other option is to return the kit you purchased, and get our cylinder exchange kit - it's all setup, ready to bolt on.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

What if he used standard sized (although aftermarket) pistons/rings on a standard bore (assuming the other two are OK and he finds a good used standard bore 1000 cylinder).

Comment

Then it's a crap shoot at what the final clearance would be - and there would be no way to change it. 'Standard Bore' is a loose term. No mater the bore size, the final 0.010" or so must be hand set for each cylinder. He may find that he has a 0.002" clearance, or it may be way off the other way - no way to tell. The only thing for sure is, you won't have all three at the correct 0.005" - 0.006" clearance.

Comment

****.. that nicasil coating has to make rebuilding those things a real pain in general then

Comment

Not for us - we sleeve them all no-charge!

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                Not for us - we sleeve them all no-charge!
                wish i had a machine shop at my house!

I've got alot of tools but it never seems enough :)

Comment

I have never in my life heard of such a thing.

I think you are right that the standard Arctic Cat pistons (or Suzuki whatever they are) are going to be the best built for their motors. Like most things, OEM, is usually the best.

However, you cannot posibly say that you CANNOT use aftermarket pistons an a Nikasil cylinder. Wiseco has been making forged pistons for all types of machines with Nikasil cylinders and these machines run fine. Even pro motocross riders use Wiseco pistons with Nikasil cylinders. Most would agree a Wiseco piston is built better than a stock cast piston. My point is that a standard size piston is a standard size piston regardless of who makes it.

I would agree having new cylinders or having them sleeved would be the only way to guarantee perfect clearances but like I said I am on a budget. Even with stock Tigershark pistons in the machine the clearances will likely be off because of the wear in the cylinders....so....without new or re sleeved cylnders I might as well go aftermarket.

You guys are offering a tempting deal with your rebuild kits though, shipping might kill me though as I am in Canada.

- Kurt

Comment

Well, I'm not going to argue with you. Did you ever wonder why Yamaha offers 6 different 'Standard' Bore piston sets for their nicasil engines?

Good luck.

Comment

Thats why when you order a new cylinder for a PV GP it comes with rings and piston that are already matched to the cylinder.
                      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

redr2 I have never in my life heard of such a thing.

May be thats why your ski is not running right now? :)

Comment

no thats not it.

My point was aftermarket pistons can be used in stock Tigershark cylinders.

Comment

Good point with the Yamaha pistons. Some of the Suzuki motocross bikes do the same.

On a plus side I have stumbled accross some new Tigershark cylinders and am likely going that route with my rebuild.

Comment

Sooo...

after splittn' the cases new top end and new cylinders got it back in the lake today.

Some more problems though....

I think my carbs are way out of wack. When I stripped it down I found a broken allen bolt that held on one of the carbs so I drilled it all out and thought "hey, what the hell, lets clean the carbs!"

I removed them and after dropping the assembly of carbs and breaking the brass tube off the accelerator pump AND cracking the plastic throttle linkage I finally got it all fixed and running in the good old driveway with a flush kit.

I must say, after cleaning the carbs, what a bitch to get it running again. After killing the battery finally got it fired up and running nicely with the flush kit. Engine even sounded quiter!! So...take it to the lake, put it in the water, and attempt to fire it up. Now attempt is the word here. I killed the batteryu trying to get it started. Towed it home through the battery on the charger and then used the flush kit to get it going in the good old driveway again. So.....take it back to the lake, started right up on the trailer, put it in the lake, and then killed the battery trying to get it running again.....%*%#$!

Fortunately......buddy puting his boat in the water had a spare and I jumped it. Holy crap though, what a bitch to get started in the water and once throttle was applied it died. Carbs out of sync I think. Start playing with the adjustments, made it worse!!! And, eventually pushed it on the trailer and go home.

What a #$@% day!

So, now I am going to break down and spend the $$$ to have a marine pro mechanic guy sync the carbs for me as I just give up. While I am at it going to spend more $$$ to get him to get my trim motor working as I can't figure that out either !

Forgot to mention though, while adding 2 stroke oil in the oil tank my threads to the cap broke and now I need the new tube that sticks out of the hull and has threads on it....Did I mention the closest Tigershark parts place is 2.5 hours from me !

Good News! Piss me off.

Comment

Working...
                              X