No announcement yet.

97Monte Carlo in lake today - bogging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97Monte Carlo in lake today - bogging?

kay so I got my Monte Carlo 1000 in the lake today, first time since winter. It was fun - now I remember why I bought one!

However......some running issues...

Started and idled okay. Out of the hole it bogged much more than usual. As speed was increasing you could almost feel the engine bogging a bit - almost like a misfire. Top speed was usually at 55 mp/h where the engine screams nice and steady maintaining that speed. Today it would only hit about 50 mp/h and intead of the engine running nice and smooth it was like it was fluttering so that the rpm would jump up and down by like 500 rpm....basically it just did not move along nice and steady at top speed. At the low end from a dead stop it would bog and hesitate for a few seconds before the motor would wind up again. Strange.

Its strange because upon parking it last year everything ran great. I did fog the carbs and motor with fogging oil in October to Winterize it so I figure maybe the fogging oil gummed something up??? I pulled the plugs - they are nice (only 2 rides on them last summer) and sprayed some carb cleaner down the carbs to try and clean them but that did nothing. The gas was old but it was only at a quarter tank and I topped it up today with 94.

Now this is unrelated I am sure, but at the end of my ride I took a nice tight fast 180 degree turn, the ski slid backwards and I gave it gas and it just bogged down. It would not rev again after that and I putted it back to the dock. Did not matter if I gave it full throttle it just continued to bog. It was the end of the day so I went home....

I am thinking the carbs may be out of sync from sitting or clogged up from fogging oil? As for the end of the day maybe I sucked in some water?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

- Kurt

Re: 97Monte Carlo in lake today - bogging?

Carbs wont get gummed up from fogging oil. They will gum up over time sitting up with old gas inside. Did you use fuel stabilizer and run it after with it in the fuel?

Possibly it may be a cloged fuel filter or going into limp mode from overheating. Make sure the exhaust / engine is staying cool and the water filter cap is not cracked and leaking.

Not a 100% stop but helps a lot.

You should not ride it with a fuel system problem it will only make things worse. If it is starving for fuel you will end up with engine damage and a big repair bill.

On a 97' it is way past due for a carb rebuild. get some SBN kits and remove, clean and reassemble the carbs. Order a intake gasket set also.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I never used a fuel stabilizer. The tank was at less than a 1/4 tank so I just topped it up with fresh gas. I have heard that fule with stabilizer in it is basically useless afterwards so I avoided it.

I have no yet checked the fuel filter, will today. Its definitely not overheating (does it cold too) and everything exhaust wise seems good to go?

Any idea how much these carb rebuild kits are? Is it possible for carbs to need adjustment after the machine sat a few months?

Thanks for the suggestions...

- Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by redr2
        I never used a fuel stabilizer. The tank was at less than a 1/4 tank so I just topped it up with fresh gas. I have heard that fule with stabilizer in it is basically useless afterwards so I avoided it.

I have no yet checked the fuel filter, will today. Its definitely not overheating (does it cold too) and everything exhaust wise seems good to go?

Any idea how much these carb rebuild kits are? Is it possible for carbs to need adjustment after the machine sat a few months?

Thanks for the suggestions...

- Kurt
        I popped the head off my 96' monte carlo, bought new gaskets and cleaned the valves. After sitting all winter I noticed when I changed the spark plugs that the tips were covered with oil and water (you know that white lard look) I think the moisture rises over winter and covers them. Anyways, If the tips had that much crap on them after 6 months of sitting the valves and piston heads, HOWEVER well you winterize!!! Have to be in pretty sad shape also.
        Well, I was right!!! Its not often this happens that Im right, so I was pretty fired up....(just kidding) But, after 6 months of sitting and a quicky clean out and battery charge. I never even tested it out @ home to see if it started, just hit the water and she fired up and I was off!!!! It was you know......OH MY why we all own them. The valves and head might clean themselves out after awhile with some good fuel and plenty of high trottle, or try some valve cleaner crap in the fuel, Im not a real believer in cleaners, but anythings better then trying to get that junk out over time!!!! Take care and good riding

Comment

There are no valves in the motor. the only valves are reed valves in the intake but they wont cause that problem.

You need to fog the engine and put both pistons level in the bore to keep out the cool moist air over the winter. That is water wich will cause rust and wear out the engine.

The reason you stabalize the fuel is so it does not gum up the carbs while not in use. Since you have never used any it is a good bet your carbs need to be removed cleaned and rebuilt.

I normaly just drain the old gas after the winter and use it in my car. It has no problem with the lowwer octain fuel. Don't do this if you premix.

Comment

I will use fule stabilizer next year. Oh well.

Anyone know the cost of new rebuild kits, any idea if they are easy to install...like dirt bikes carb for instance.

- Kurt

Comment

They sell them here for your ski. Follow the tech article on how to rebuild your carbs. It is harder than motorcycle carbs.

Comment

Update

Pulled my plugs today to put in some new ones and one of the plugs (cylander closest to the rear) came out with a film of grey and the gap had been squashed to the diode.....not good I thought. I looked closer at the plug and found some small metal chunks (aluminum) squashed up into the plug.

So....I pulled the head off and noticed that the edges of my piston had just began to chunk out. Have not pulled the cylender off but rings still look seated. Thankfully I stopped the machine when it started bogging as it appears my head and cylendar are still in perfect shape....whew!!
                I assume the really bad bogging at the end of the day occurred because the gap in the plug dissappeared from the metal chunks essentially squashing it.

Anyway, the head and piston have a thin layer of film I can only described as fine aluminum dust mixed with oil and gas.....hence the grey film covered plug.

Now ....... obviously time for new piston and rings. Has anyone experienced this before? I have seen pistons crack on dirt bike motors around the edges but it usually pops the ring up with it. Maybe I cought it just in time. What I can say for sure is no signs of seizing...there is no heat marks and the main bearing appears tight (piston itself was not hitting the plug).

When I did pop the head off it looked like the O-rings were out of the grooves, in fact they are stretched and will no longer sit in the grooves at all....this seems strange but don't think a blown head gasket can cause a piston to start coming apart.....

Anyway any thoughts?
                Where is the best place to buy pistons?
                What all should I buy....I need piston kit (x3), rings, base and head gaskets, exhaust gaskets.....?
                Should probably do the reeds too!

you can see in the pics the 'chunking out' piston and head gaskets.

Thanks All,

- Kurt

Comment

here arew the pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

Another update today:

The piston was cracked...the bottom (exhaust side) of the piston skirt broke off completely and fortunately was fired out through the exhaust. Its either in the lake or in the water box but the cylander and everything else was saved :)

In fact, all 3 pistons were cracked. The other 2 had some hair line cracks starting....Yikes!

One of the cylanders is not too nice. It appears some of the Nikasil lining is coming off in one spot but I cannot seem to find a 1000 cylender anywhere on Ebay. Tempted to re use it. Anyone gotta a good used one for sale?

I am ordering a full piston kit for the motor but will re use my reeds, I never realzied they were metal on these things - no chipping!

- Kurt

pics to follow later.

Comment

Your best bet would to get the cylinder exchange from SBT. It will come with everything you need to replace all three. You just send back the old cylinders in exchange.

Comment

just bought a top end kit, I assume the original pistons were in there? How do I know if the bore is the standard bore based on the markings on the pistons?

I observed an S on the inside of them - does that mean 'STANDARD' .... there are no numbers and it there is no sleeve - meaning Nikasil...

Thx!!!

- Kurt

Comment

Only way to tell if it is standard is to measure it with a bore gauge.

That wil also tell you if it is worn out and need to be bored and oversized.

Comment

anyone have any good used standard (81mm) Tigershark 1000 cylinders for sale?

- Kurt

Comment

What exactly did you buy and from whom?
                              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X