Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Kawasaki STS JT750 engine replaced!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Kawasaki STS JT750 engine replaced!

I have to give SBT a huge thumbs up so far.

The engine arrived as promised, and when I fired it up for the first time last night, it sounded great! I saved almost $1200 bucks (based on the best estimate I could get from my local repair shop)!! Sweeeet!!

I plan on taking it to the water this weekend to give it just a little test run!

SBT, I love the fact that you sent me the engine without charging for the core first. No other site would even consider that! I checked. I could have opted to return my motor first, but that was not going to happen! I love the fact that you have the external gasket kit available for purchase too. If you also sold the carb rebuild kits, and for those of us who need their rides to be simple - new oil pumps, I would not have had to buy anything at my local repair shop!

I just sent back the motor using the Fed-up airbill that came with the engine. I really appreciate your sending the invoice, my warranty info, and even those neat stickers to put on my ride!

I will post again after I have had a chance to give my ride a through checkout! ;)

Re: 1996 Kawasaki STS JT750 engine replaced!

Only thing you missed is that they do sell carb kits.

Comment

Well, when I asked, I was told no. I don't remember who I talked too, but I would have bought them there if I had been told yes. Who cares? I'm happy either way! :)

Comment

Thats what counts!!!!

Comment

1996 Kawasaki STS - 6/16/05 update

Well folks, it took awhile, but I finally got the chance to break in my new engine this past weekend (6/09/05 - 6/11/05)! Yea!!!

Let me begin by saying that this was the absolute first time I have been able to put this thing in the water since it was redone, and though I fired up the moter and ran it on a hose for a few minutes, the motor was raw and had to be broke in. I read and religiously followed the break-in procedure that Bryan Glynn posted (http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...eak+procedures). I tell ya, it was sooooo **** hard NOT to run the @#$@#$ out of it, but I did not. I want to make that part clear as a bell. I even printed the article out and took it with me. I am still using the oil pump (brand new too), so I pre-mixed 50-1 in the tank.

Well, I was happy, happy, happy Thursday evening, all day on Friday, and Saturday morning. Life was good :emoticont I mean the motor was running great even though I had to change the plugs twice due to the heavy oil use - no biggie! I was HAPPY! By Saturday at 10:00am, I had finished the second full tank of gas and was FINISHED with the break-in!!! :emoticonc Man was I one HAPPY CAMPER! According to the article, you can then ride however you wish after that right....? Well, I wished balls-to-the-wall, full throttle, let-er rip! And that is EXACTLY what I did!

Well, can you guess what happens now? I was in the middle of tank three when suddenly, I was gunning at full throttle, when suddenly, it started acting like it ran out of gas and died. It started right back up and ran like hell again for awhile (about 2 minutes) then did it again. It started immediately back up again and ran like hell for about 10 minutes, then did it again. I went back to the dock, checked and changed the plugs again, and ran the hell out of it for about 15 minutes and it did not do it again. I thought GREAT! So I took a friend out for a simple cruise (an area where the water was like glass - beautiful!) Guess what, it started dying suddenly (but would re-start instantly), then it started sputtering/spitting, then it stopped completely running on one cylinder and of course was smoking like a tar baby while I rode the ski to shore quickly (fortunately next to a fishing pier/boat launch ramp). I called the wife to bring the trailer and we loaded it up (weather was getting bad anyway). This after noticing that the gas filter did not have any fuel in it. I was thinking it may have gotten clogged somehow, or I broke a reed valve (the only part on the carb not redone - cleaned, but not replaced), something simple to fix, yada yada, yada. No biggie!

Well, yesterday (Wed 6/16/05), I finally got a chance to check it out, and CYL #1 (closest to front) had 150PSI! WooHoo! Then I tested #2 - almost 0 PSI!:emoticonr :emoticond So much for simple........

OK. Enough pissing and moaning! So I filed the warranty claim, got the official claim number, and I am going to pull the engine out of my ride and send it in. Yes, I am slightly blue about it, but as long as SBT honors the no-fault warranty, then if I have to replace engines all summer long, that is what I will do....:D Guess what I'm doing this weekend?!?:p

What I did find interesting this morning is the article I read by MotoMan when I searched for Break-in procedures. He recommends warming up the ride, doing a check-out ride to insure operation and nothing loose, etc. Then, running it wide open! He claims that it is better for the motor! Huh? I wonder.....is air cooled motorcycle engines that much different from water-cooled motorcycle engines? Just asking, but why would someone post something like this if it didn't have some basis in fact? :emoticonn

Comment

Feel free to follow any break-in procedures you want to - we cover any failure...but if you want a long lasting engine, I advise you to follow ours. I'm not debating procedures, if you have questions about someone else's opinion of break-in, you'll need to ask them. I know what's best and that's what I do.

Sorry to hear about your failure - yes of course we honor our warranty - but I advise you to figure out what your actual problem is with the ski this time rather than repairing the damage - unless you really like swapping engines.

Post further troubleshooting posts in the appropriate tech support forums.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Huh?

My actual problem is that I have a #2 piston with no compression! I know it was getting oil and gas. Therefore, something internal gave way and is covered by warranty, and if I crack it open to find out what failed, I void the warranty! Why on earth would I want to do that?! What else do I need to know?

Comment

Losing compression is the damage caused by another problem - lack of oil, clogged carbs, overheating, etc. No compression at all is major damage. Yes it's possible it's an internal error, but not likely, especially if all you did after your original motor failure is replaced the motor - simply reparing the damage, not the cause.

I never suggested you open the motor or void your warranty. We will diagnose it when it gets here and give you a good indication of what to look for to make further repairs so it won't happen again.
                This is not the right section for tech support, I'm closing this thread, please start a new one for tech help.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                X