Yamaha VX110 oil change question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha VX110 oil change question

I just purchased a new Yamaha VX110. What do I have to do to change the oil? The owners manual referst to the shop manual.

TIA- Pete

Re: Yamaha VX110 oil change question

Check the Technical Articles in this forum. Look for the FX140 oil change, steps should be similar.

Comment

Is there a pump for changing oil that you would recommend and where would I buy it?

Thanks - Pete

Comment

WestMarine or BoatUS sell the vaccum style pumps.

Comment

Check out www.mytoolstore.com

Rbi

Comment

Get the Astro Oil Extractor. I have used many pumps but this one works great. They do sell this at West marine also.

Comment

No Phil, you're thinking of Astro-Glide ;)
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

>Check the Technical Articles in this forum. Look for the FX140 oil change, steps >should be similar.
                I found an interesting quote in the technical articles for the FX140 that goes as follows: Step Two is to remove the oil cap and suck out all the oil you can. Make sure the suction tube goes all the way to the bottom and doesn't get hung up on a ledge inside. You will get out just over 2 1/2 quarts.

Since the oil capacity of the VX110 is 4.5 quarts this article implies that only about 1/2 of the oil is really replaced. That seems odd that only a portion of the oil is changed. Is my understanding correct that only half the oil is changed at an oil change interval?
                Last edited by tekennelly; 05-27-2005, 10:23 AM. Reason: Fix quoting

Comment

It seems odd, but that's correct. With these engines, you do not change all the oil, it's not possible to get it all out. Some engines allow more to come out than others, too.

Comment

When you spoke about the type of oil to use in the article, you mentioned Valvoline 10W-40. Is that the same oil type you'd use in a car or there a special blend for 4 stroke engines?

Comment

Yes, same as a car.

Comment

is there an oil filter available from an auto parts retailer that will fit a VX 110 rather than spend so much for a yamaha p/n?
                        Keep the wet side down.

Comment

When oil Filter is removed does more oil come out or is there just filter capacity?. I own 07 fx ho , freind owns vx110. What is best way to catch this oil? Thanks in advance. Phil

Comment

I just changed the oil in my VX110 Deluxe. I used the 2.5liter Panther pump/suction extractor. This has a section of hose that is like 3 to 4 mm to get way down into the oil reservoir. I still only got out 2 full quarts of oil. I then disassembled the waterbox and big thick U-shaped hose which allowed me to move the 8 or 9 inch thick metal hose coupler out of my way. Then I could get a oil wrench on the filter and had plenty of room to work. I would say about a 1/4 cup of oil leaked out onto my towel I had placed underneath the oil filter. It was not a big deal....but I had no idea what to expect so I did have a big towel stuffed in there. I replaced the factory Yamaha oil filter with a K&N oil filter part # KN-303 which has a 17mm nut welded onto the outside for easy ON/OFF in the future without having to go thru the BIG hassle of removing the waterbox. You can find these K&N filters on eBay...the best buy was to purchase 6 at a time which will be enough for 5 years for me. I used 14 oz. of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and mixed it in with 18oz. of 10-30W Full Synthetic Oil in a quart container. Got the BEST lubrication on the planet now. I basically use the same Lucas Oil Stabilizer treatment with my 140 Hp '03 Suzuki outboard every 50 hours and new oil filter also. I have over 1500 hours on the Suzuki 4 stroke and she runs as good as the day it was new. A few extra bucks spent now will make both of these four strokes last longer and keep them out of the service shop.

Comment

Working...
                            X