Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fuel #1 and #3 GP1200

1997 GP1200, 35 hours total time. New ski to me. Took it out this weekend
    and it wouldn't hit above about 2.5-3k rpm, 5 mph.

Pulled new plugs, #1 and #3 showed no evidence of combustion.
    Took it home, pulled the filter screen, Carbs #1 and #3 are not flowing fuel at all.

It's likely the ski sat with fuel in those carbs, even though previous owner said it was winterized.
    I'm a decent motorcycle mechanic, but know next to nothing about 2-strokes. How difficult is it going to
    be to clean these carbs out? Where do I begin - pull the bowls out and look for the jets?

Advice appreciated... d_Ginther@hotmail.com

It's very easy to do - we sell the rebuild kits for $30 each, and you can download the complete step-by-step guide to rebuilding them in the technical section on the left - then just clik on the Guides...it's at the bottom!

[ March 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

And BTW - if you have ANY questions about that ski, give me a call at work, or message me - it's GREAT boat and I love mine!!

Comment

And always test the pop off pressure before re-installing the carbs. It saves a ton of time over installing carbs with leaky needles and seats.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I hear a lot about popoff pressure. How do you test it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm buying a manual!

-d

Comment

hey bud
            those carbs are easy to work on. remove them from the ski. probably a 12 mm wrench stubby.
            ok now youll see where there are 4 phillips screws holding a square cover. take off the screws. the square cover has a round center stamp. Ok remove the covers. what probably happend was the diaphrams got stuck to the cover. Pull the diaphrams and look at them holding them up to the light. look for any pin holes or cracks. Ok now youll see a small arm that has the needle on one end. push down to see if the needle may be stuck. if youre looking at the carbs it should be on the left side. On the right side is the metering body. its held on by 2 phillips screws ( military green colored screw heads) you can pull them off to check the jets for clogging, now look on the other side. opposite to the side you just dissassembled. Youll see a square block. with 4 screws. Remove the screws. there should be a rubber gasket. now look at the small filters. you may need a small tweeser or needle nose. pull them out to see if they are gunked up. when youre reassembling the carbs pour a little gas or some 2 stroke oil in the metering body where the first dissassmebly took place. its not good to rebuild a ski carb dry. i usually use oil in a spray bottle but in a pinch I used gas.
            let me know if you ahve other questions
            Rob

Comment

Pop-off pressure is measured and set with a pop-off pressure gauge. The gauge is connected to the fuel filter inlet hole on the carb, and you pump it, reading the gauge, to see at what pressure point the needle 'pops' off it's seat, releasing fuel to the carb. The higher the pressure needed, the stronger signal needed to flow fuel, and the harder the diaphram has to work to pump. You basically want your pressure high enough to stop fuel from pushing past the needle due to tank pressure, but low enough to provide good throttle response. That key point differs carb to carb, type to type and ski to ski, depending on mods.

NOTE: this is not a complete procedures post, so all your wise-acers can save it! ;)

[ February 27, 2002, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

Thanks for all the info, guys! It is very much appreciated!

-d

Comment

Working...
                X