Sea Doo 2000 GTX ME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Doo 2000 GTX ME

I recently replaced my 93 GTX's for two 2000 GTX ME's w/951 engine – then I came across the negative info regarding water injection problems 951 engine, i.e., water entering through the manifold and dropping down on the carbs.

Those making the posting really confused me. Some stated that the problem was corrected before the 2000 GTX Me hit the market. Others stated that the problem was nor remedied until 2001, thus, to avoid the problem requires “probe sealing” the exhaust manifold by by wrapping a ‘diaper” around the exhaust pipe joint.

I am now really confused. How does a person wrap a “diaper’ around the exhaust pipe? What kind of material is the “diaper” made of?

Was the problem corrected in 2000, thus, I don’t need to be concerned about this problem? Are there any other problems I should be concern about with respect to the 2000 GTX ME.

I called several Sea Doo rep’s to ascertain whether the problem I speak of had been rectified by 2000 but they didn't know what I was talking about. It is clear that I should have logged onto SBT before I tossed out nine grand for these Doo’s. Should I get rid of them and hang-on to my 93’s? Any help you folks can give this Riversider desert rat will be appreciated.

SurfBeat@BigValley.net

Last edited by SurfBeat; 05-03-2005, 06:46 PM. Reason: too long

Re: Sea Doo 2000 GTX ME

I put this reply on another thread but it seems like it applies here too.

"We've got two GTX's. One, a '00ME, has over 250 hours and the other, a '99 Limited, has over 220 hours. Both start easily and run strong. I don't plan on dooing a darn thing (other than regular maintaince) until there's a problem and I have no reason to expect any problems. Go ride and enjoy, they're fun skis."

I cannot answer your question about which skis need the "diaper" fix but I believe you should be fine. I know that we ride ours HARD and have never had a water ingestion problem.
    The only thing you need to worry about - assuming you bought the skies in good condition - is if/when you flip the skis upside down in the water be sure to turn them upright in the proper direction. There is a sticker on the rear of the ski showing which way to turn it but if not you need to rotate it so that the exhaust side goes down when you roll it upright. This pertains to all pwc's not just your GTX's

Dave

Dave
    Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

If you have 2000 model skis and they still run, they either came with the correct manifold seals or they have been upgraded to have them. In other words, you are worrying about nothing.

If you want to really know, remove the seat and look at the joint between the exhaust pipe and the exhaust manifold on the very top of the motor above the carbs. Do you see a rubber piece wrapped around the joint?

Had you asked the dealership about a RECOVERY ENVELOPE, instead of a "diaper", he may have understood what you were talking about.

The "fix" ( refered to as a "SERVICE BULLETIN" ) included a new gasket and longer studs and bolts and a rubber recovery envelope. Some 2000 models even had oringed manifolds, all 2001+ models have orings.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the prompt reply to my posting. I took your advice, and pulled the seats of the Doo's. One had a rubber fitting around the joint w/ two rubber flaps lying next to each other. The second Doo had no rubber fitting but did have the two rubber flaps. Do I need the rubber fitting for this Doo or are the rubber flaps sufficient? If I do need the fitting, is it difficut to do myself? It seems like the fitting merely is wrapped around the manifold nuts. However, if I need larger bolts, then, what? Do I need to drill longer holes or simply obtain the longer bolts from the dealer, pull the old scerews and install the longer ones, hopefully without the need to change the gaskets.

Comment

Inspect it for water leaks. If leaking, have a mechanic install the upgraded kit ( or if inclined, DIY). If it isn't leaking, don't worry about it. That rubber boot won't stop the water leak.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X