Break-in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Break-in oil

If you ran it that long your most likely ok. I would make sure to warm it up at least 5 minutes before going to half throttle to make sure that the pistons, rings, cylinders are properly warmed and lubricated. I warm mine up 5 minutes even now I believe it adds a lot of life onto the engine and its not that expensive on fuel.

Make sure you follow the break in procedures that SBT shows and common sense.

This is a bit of topic but I purchased a new Yamaha Wave Blaster in 1996. From the factory the oil pump was tuned rich on purpose after the break-in I was suppose to go back to the dealer and have the pump leaned down. I decided against ever having it leaned since the plugs weren't fouling out I decided that a little extra oil couldn't hurt. The ski ran awesome up till when I sold it recently.

On that theory is why I run 100:1 in my fuel along with the factory oil pump thats on my seadoo. Most pwc engine failures are do to the oil pump stopping working or a hose breaking etc. The 100:1 mixture in the fuel keeps the motor lubed all the time and gives me piece of mind that if the oil pump quits working for whatever the reason that my engine most likely won't blow-up I will see the oil in the bottom of the ski or notice that the ski isn't smoking like normal. I also noticed that sbt says to mix 40:1 in the fuel for the break-in so thats kinda what gave me the idea and its been a good one at least for me.

Joe

Comment

Most engine failures are not due to lack of oil. They are due to rust on the crankshaft bearings and on the clyinder walls and due to LACK OF PROPER MAINTENCE. I see one oil related failure to at least 20 rusty motors over the past 13 years.

This whole thread is probably nothing more than you needed a good starter motor and a good battery....... But, tell me more about this engine that "locks up". What exactly does that mean? Is the lousy starter motor causing the bendix to get stuck in the flywheel?
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill,
        New topend, i started it and reved it.......the engine itself literally locked up, i took a pipe wrench to the pto and finally got it to unlock. I yanked the head and all looked fine on the top half. Which is why i am leaning towards i overheated the psistons and temporarily seized. That's pretty much the story. It has a new starter, new battery, new oil pump, just changed out the pump oil, new starter relay, took it to the dealer and had them replace the MPEM harnesses last year. I am running 40:1 in the tank. I have not taken it out yet though. Did i just overheat? That's the story.

Comment

I doubt you will get away that easily...... Anytime an engine siezes to the point it locks up, it has some major damage to the pistons, unless of course, you left some needle bearings in the cases, then sucked them into the rest of the motor when you reved it up, which causes even more damages.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "Main Reason" for engine failure. But it is something worth considering. I noticed that sbt won't guarantee a motor unless a new oil pump is used or a block off plate so it must be worth consideration.

Luckily I have never had an engine failure but I did just build an engine for a guy that had let the oil lines dry rot on his sea doo thus the oil was going into the bottom of the ski not into the motor. Poor maintenance on his part but still and engine failure.

Good luck with the ski,

Joe
            Last edited by Joe Snuffy; 05-13-2005, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy
              I noticed that sbt won't guarantee a motor unless a new oil pump is used or a block off plate so it must be worth consideration.
              Where do people get this stuff from? I don't know what you mis-read or who's telling lies, but that is 100% BS. We have a NO-FAULT warranty. As long as you don't disassemble the motor it's covered PERIOD.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Sorry my bad. I got the info from your installation procedures in your technical help area. I noticed that its just a recommendation to use the block-off plate and you can use your old injection pump if its functioning properly. I stand corrected my aplogies.

Installation info Engine

Oil Injection
                It is SBT’s recommendation that the oil
                injection pump be disabled, and block-off
                plate(s) be installed prior to use of the new
                engine in your ski. This is only
                recommended to insure reliable lubrication
                and extended engine life for all our
                customer’s PWCs. Re-use of your
                functioning oil injection pump, if so
                equipped, does not void your warranty.

Comment

This is not an SBT rebuild. I just don't see the since in tearing it down for nothing. I'll just run it and if it takes a crap, my bad. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Comment

Here's the deal now. I never got it on the lake to break it in. This is what it is doing. It don't lock up on the hose, i can get it running but it will not stay running now. It will stay running long enough to get to the hose nozzel to turn it on then it stalls out. It will not take the throttle now, it's soaking the plugs with oil. Also, i yank the plugs and turn it by hand VIA the pto and it always makes a weird noise, like a gear slipping. Is the crank gone, is it the RV gear or did i just dump to much oil down the cylinders when i had the head off? Blown crank seal maybe? Compression is fine. Forgot to mention, the weird noise.....it only does it the first rotation turning it by hand and i never hear noise when starting or running. It's acting like it's starving for fuel, but the noise is what i'm trying to figure out. It has rebuilt carbs, i checked and cleaned the external fuel filter(carbs were rebuilt last yeat BTW).I'm baffled. Should i tear the lower end apart? This ski has problems, anymore opinions or questions about the ski would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Comment

First you need to get it running so it stays running,( or not if it is junk ). I really do not know what else to tell you at this point.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

Bill,

What do you think about continuosley dumping a teaspoon of straight gas down the plug holes? Will that burn off all the oil? I just don't want to burn up my new starter and ruin my new battery doing this, and i also don't want to grenade this thing if there is in fact lower end damage. The top end is still in tact, so obviousley nothing got through. Another thing i noticed, i can play with the idle screw and it makes 0 difference in the way it idles. I can sometimes keep it running by pulling the choke in and out, but sometimes that don't even make a difference. Talk about the ski from he@@. Thanks for all the opinions and advice.

Comment

Why not use premixed gas ? Why straight gas?

If you have to choke it to keep it running, you have a major clog in something, or possibly reversed fuel lines? Clogged selector valve? Clogged internal filters? Non working fuel pump ? Debris or water in gas or in the carbs ? Stuck needles and seats? Stuck diaphram?.......
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Ok, i played with it some more this evening. It will start but still will not stay running , and when it does run it runs rough no matter what i adjust the idle screw to. I took the flame arrestor off and noticed wet oil coming out of the PTO carb throat, not shooting out but it was coming from there. There is no oil blowing out the plug holes when i crank it without the plugs in. I have the high speed screws at 0 turns in and the lows at 2.5 out(also tryed 1.25 out), made no difference. It hasa new oil pump and i checked to see if it was calibrated right, it is. Should I be looking at a fuel problem or a possible blown crank seal? Any more opinions would be appreciated, cause i don't have the money to tear into both.

Thanks once again

Comment

I just read about the 2002 RX-DI taking a crap. I must mention i have old fuel in my tank cause i could not get it running last year and didn't really have means to syphon the tank. But i must add, and if you read the whole thread you'll see. I had it running, it locked up, got it unlocked and it ran. Now it's just soaking the plugs with oil, and now i noticed oil coming out of the PTO carb throat, but it is not blowing out the plug holes while cranking. Sorry, just trying to put out as much info about this ski as i can.

Comment

You have more than carb problems if you got oil in the carb throat.

Comment

Working...
                                X