Question about purchase 650 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about purchase 650 Engine

What are different between 650 and 650X engine?
    I am thinking to purchase 650 or 650X to replace my engine from SBT. I bought 1994 GTX for about a year and lately it won't start. I check compression test is about 125PSI and have good spark. I know that my engine had been rebuilt from previous owner, and the Flying wheel welded into the Cranksharp due to the key to keep the flying wheel inplace is damaged. I cannot take off stator. I don't know SBT will accept the core exchange like this condition or not. the core is clean and no sign of damage. Please let me know what I can do to purchase the same size of engine from SBT. Thank you

Re: Question about purchase 650 Engine

Correct terms: Flywheel, not flying wheel. Crankshaft not cranksharp. It is not welded on, you need to use a flywheel pulley - read the Install Guide in the tech section for a walk-through on disassembly.

You can either order online or call in to order. You do need to remove all your external parts before sending in the core though. If you have trouble, see a local dealer for help.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hey TS... I have seen weirder s**t on some skis I have worked on. The person could be telling the truth. What if someone was having a problem with the flywheel and put a quick tack weld on it to hold it in place on the crank nose?

Comment

That's true...but I hope it's not the case.

Comment

And as far as the differences between the 657 and 657X - there are many. Your ski had the 657 from the factory.

Comment

It is exactly what OutlawTaz said. The small slot for key insert between Flywheel and crankshaft damaged, could not hold the key inplace that why he put a quick tack weld on to hold flywheel in place on the crank.

My concern is if I try to cut a tack weld to get the stator out that might have small damage on the crank nose. In this case, does SBT accept the core as is. Thank you

Comment

In that case there would be a $50 charge for a ruined nose.

The key does NOT hold the flywheel in place. It's ONLY job is to help you position the flywheel while tightening the bolt/nut, which IS what keeps it in place. You had no need for the weld whatsoever.

Comment

OMG!!!! Somebody had a bad key so they used a tack weld instead of just buying a $.50 key? People like that should be shot...

Comment

Working...
                X