2001 Yamaha LS2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Yamaha LS2000

I hope this is right type of question to ask, i happened upon this forum while doing some research.

I am looking at my first purchase of a boat. I have found a 2001 Yamaha LS2000 and am interested. I have two boys 14 and 12, and we will be doing a lot of skiing, tubing and wakeboarding. We live on a river, that empties into the Chesapeake Bay, and most of our days will be spent in the river, but we might take a jaunt into the bay on a calm day.

My questions:
    1-Is this a good boat for a first time boater? Low Maintenance, easy to handle, etc?
    2-Is this boat a good boat for flexibility, water sports primarily but once in a while a cruise across the bay?
    3-Is there a site for comparison pricing on used boats, or do you have any range in value for a 2001 of this model.

Thanks in advance for considering my questions...

Steve

Re: 2001 Yamaha LS2000

No boat with two stroke jetski engines is low maintenance. I highly recommend boats with either 4 stroke jetski engines or Mercruiser engines.That being said yes it is a great boat for all types of activity - however it is very expensive to run and maintain.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

thank you very much for your quick reply!

Comment

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...=1008&Letter=Y

Try that for your pricing question...
        Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

i would say that it isnt a good first boat. 2 stroke engines are not that reliable and a jet boat is going to suck really bad for wakeboarding and skiing. i would recommend a I/O of some sort. anything but a jet boat will be best

Comment

Why all this negativity on two stroke's.
            If you want to own a blast of speed and adrenaline than I had a SWEET LS boat that I can sell below retail, I live in Jacksonville, NC.
            As far as 2 stroke over 4 stroke all said and done yes 4 stroke is better than a 2 stroke for reliability. But for the weight to power the two stroke wins.
            Also with a little mechanical skills you can fix a two stroke. Four stroke start buying all kinds of SPECIAL tools.
            Yamaha's 4 stroke 155Hp engine, is estimated to cost $2500 to overhaul by RIVA.
            An LS uses a 1200 non power valve two stroke engine. SBT with a one year warranty day in day out sells this engine for $899 so you tell me what is what.
            Last, opinions are like people some are good and some are not as long as you are happy with what you got that is the best. SO get informed, also why would Yamaha spend millions on RD for a wake/ski boat?
            Answer they don't, they have targeted the wake and ski people with a fast and sexy boat. They are quick responsive and have a great wake to get plenty of air time. Also remember that both engines give you a combine Hp of 270 Hp that my friend is a lot of power for the weight of the boat.

Comment

Yep, and it's also 28+ gal/hr of fuel at WOT :)
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Engines and drives are ok but the hull and it's fasteners are very poor quality. Guages are junk also. 6 Carbs will use alot of fuel.................Double trouble........

Comment

So will a 454....or a couple 501's....but they are fun.I've had years of fun with the offshore crowd around here....Kinda spoiled me

If it were me...I would buy an I/O way before a jetboat.

just my 2c's
                  Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

If your LS2000 is burning that much gas then you have a problem with it. I can run my LS2000 for about 6 or 7 hrs on 42 gallons of full. I went out the other day in it for 5 hours and last night for 1 1/2 hrs and I had to fill up. No matter what anyone says they are easy to work on and fun to ride.

I bought my 2001 for $11,500 and it is brand excellent/new condition and had been sitting in a garage for 2 yrs. You need to look around good before you buy one. There is a guy in TN that has a 2000 year for $10,600 and it is in the same excellent condition as mine. He is putting a new engine in it as we speak. FireJet
                    Last edited by FireJet; 08-10-2005, 04:36 PM. Reason: added information

Comment

I'm currfently an owner of an 2001 LS200 andhave loved it for the past 4 years. while it doesn't give the big wake that the Tige', Mastercraft, or Malibu, I've had no problems pulling up skiers and wakeboarders. Our family loves tubing the most, simply because more can enjoy the activity at the same time and the LS2000 has been beautiful for that. Yes, it does use more gas than your I/O but I still go all day at Lake Powell on one tank. The speed, manuverability at high speeds are incredible. this boat turns on a dime like no others and at full speed. the newer yamahas, with the deeper hull may not have the turning capibility, i'm not sure. I have had one problem with it and that is that it begins to stall alot as the day wears on and I need to put it in neutral and "blow out the gunk" before it goes again. If anyone has an idea as to what causes that I'd appreciate some input on that.

Comment

Its been said and Ill say it also, an I/O would be a more conservative decision for your first boat. They use less gas, provide a much crisper wake (if your a wakeboarder thats the main flaw in jet boat wakes) and pretty much the only thing jet boats have over them is speed (barring certain circumstances) and acceleration. But you wont have a problem pulling anyone up with either boat.

By the way, Yamaha did not design this boat specifically for wakeboarding. If they did they would of used a prop. Props provide a much crisper wake to jump over. In fact, all jet boats werent really designed head-to-toe as jet-powered boats, they just made an effiecient hull and slapped the same exact engines that they use in their PWC's in there, and sometimes *Note: "sometimes"* its apparent. For example their not made to live in such a wide un-forgiving vibration enviroment. Ski's hulls are much more narrow, and although completely unnoticeable, they do give way left and right to the engines vibration, unlike a jet boats wide hull. This creates more vibration damage, and even in some circumstances will cause damage to the carb if its run consistently in idle (like really really long no-wake zones) and this can cause the boat to smoke more then it should.

Also, flyfishindan, I have a suggestion of what the problem could be. In yama jet boats, the gas tank is so narrow the when turning in corners, the gas is literally sloshed away from the fuel pickups, causing them to take in air and extremely dangerous lean condition, and stalling the engine in some extremes. theres a full 8 pages or so of explanation on www.groupk.com and they discuss the solution, a fuel/air seperator pump, which prevents any air from going to your carb's. Of course this only happens once your fuel tank is below the half mark, as when its full, it cant fully slosh all over.

Comment

Working...
                        X