cylinder swap out tips - Kawasaki 900 - 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder swap out tips - Kawasaki 900 - 1100

Recently received a swap kit from SBT to replace my top end.
    #1 piston had died due to suspected lack of lube (oil injection failure).

The Kawasaki has a solid cylinder - it must be removed in a single piece, unlike other watercraft where you can deal with the cylinders one at a time.

I was told that I'd need to remove the engine to be able to get the pistons back in the bore.

So, how do you accomplish it?

set the middle piston in the bore before dropping the cylinder on.
    Move the piston to a low position, have a helper insert the connecting rod and circlips.

Go ahead and install the other two pistons on to the rods. To get the pistons in the bore, you really need a ring compressor. What works well as a ring compressor that is thin and sized just right? Hose clamps. Lube the pistons/rings, install a hose clamp around the pistons and rings - snugly, enough to compress the rings, but not so tight that you'll having binding. Oil helps a lot.

Using a helper, have the block lowered down onto the pistons. Be careful with the ring setup, if the hose clamp slips off, you need to start over. Do not force the pistons and be very sure that they move freely once they are in. You can actually view the rings when the piston is in a low position, using a small mirror and lifting off the block a bit.

It's not much fun with the engine in the boat, but it's not impossible.

Re: cylinder swap out tips - Kawasaki 900 - 1100

I normaly just take out the four engine mount bolts and a few lines off and lift the engine up slide a board under it and lower it down on it. Now you can see eveything and puting the cylider on is a two minute job. I did it the other way a couple of times and bent a ring on the third so I just starter doing the extra work to be 100% sure.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Dent, if you pull the motor (which isn't bad at this point) - how do you get the pistons/rings up into the cylinders?

My suggestion was to use hose clamps as a ring compressor.. worked great!

Comment

I just squeese the rings in by hand one at a time. The bottom of the cylinder should has a taper and it helps compres the rings.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Doing a top end kit with the motor in the ski can be done, best have some good ring compressers, Got #1 in the hole first, then # 3 and last but not least #2. This a bitch with the motor in the ski. Next time I will remove the engine if I get another top end job on a Kawasaki

Comment

Yes it is much easier to do a top end with the engine removed from the ski.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
            X