Kawasaki 12f problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki 12f problems

Help! 2003 Kawasaki stx 12f has been in the shop 7 or more times, the dealership has not been able to fix it. the problem continues to be the same the craft will suddenly slow down and hesitate usually after it has been in the water for about 10 or 15 mins. from that point on it will not pick up speed over 35. Please give me your advice.

I saw this post on another forum. I responded that my ski is doing the same thing. This weekend after it started bogging down, I stopped and restarted again and it was fine for another 10-15 minutes. I first thought it was bad gas but I have drained and refilled it. The ski only has 30 hours and has never had any problems! I don't want to be constantly going back to the shop! When it boggs it seems to loose power and hesitate. HELP!! No other problems!

Re: Kawasaki 12f problems

Could it possibly by a faulty cooling system? Either a blockage thats letting it get too hot, or a sensor having a spike in it's curve so when the engine gets to given temp, it sends a faulty signal to the system saying it's hotter than it really is?

Comment

I have checked for blockage. None! When I stop it is for less than 10-15 seconds. Just enough time for a few cuss words, but somthing as you said is resetting itself. Would the computer show this if it is hooked up to the ski? I get no warning lights of overheating. Water is coming out of the side as it is supposed to. Thanks for your quick response! What else?

Comment

Not sure how the electronics in your year is (how "computerized"). If it's automated enough, the brains (ecu) may be seeing SOME kind of rise in the temp. Temperature sensors are usually positive or negative (either resistance goes up with higher temp or it goes down with higher temp). Temp sensors can go faulty and give a bad reading only in a range of temps. I do not know what the resistance scale is for it is. Maybe someone on this board might know.

Have you also checked the one-way valve in your fuel line? It may be faulty and causing a problem only after so much fuel has been sucked out of the tank and creating a vacuum in the tank that the pumps can't fight against...just another thought...

Comment

Thanks! I will check it out and wait on other posts! Anyone with updates??

Comment

Just a clarification of my previous post since I thought about it last night and didn't call the part by it's correct name. It's the Check-Valve that's connected to the vent line from the fuel tank.

It should let air into the tank as the fuel pump pulls fuel out, but keeps gas from spilling out if the craft should roll. You take it out and blow through it. If it blows both ways, that's bad because fuel will spill out if you roll. If it's stuck both ways, that's bad cuz as you run the ski and the carbs pull fuel, no air can get into the tank to compensate. At a certain point, there's enough of a vacuum in the tank that it fights against the fuel pump trying to pull fuel out.

Happened to a friends ski and at first we thought it was a carb problem.

Comment

Try changing your fuel filter.

Comment

That's possible too. He said it was in the shop 7 times, so I just figured that they would have tried that as a basic (though the check-valve is a basic check too...)

Comment

without knowing ever detail its very hard to say something about the symptoms you are havin, due to the complexety of the craft. Is there any other dealer around you can take it to. If they have had it 7 times and haven't fixed it, then its not your fault, or the boats fault its a dumb tech.

But it does sound like fuel starvation. So filter and check valve is where I would start. Also check all ignition wire connections. How old are the spark plugs? Has your dealer been charging you for the service? You may want to for $25 buy a service manual from Kawi.
                  Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                  2002-1100STX DI
                  2004-15F
                  2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I will change the fuel filter and the check the fuel valve. The plugs and wires are fine. There are only 32 hours on this ski so it must be the fuel starvation issue. THANKS EVEYONE FOR YOUR HELP!! I WILL KNOW AND POST THE OUTCOME IN A FEW DAYS!!

Comment

Working...
                    X