Pesky piston problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky piston problem

Nice site, can't wait to get my shirt!! Posted same message on seadoo.net, then I read about this site, and thoght it would be a good post here too to kick things off!!

I purchased pistons for my 97 GP1200 2 seasons ago when I was rebuilding the motor from WSM.(I bought the ski with the motor blown) Then right at the end of the season, it lost rpm's at top end. Checked compression and the rear was at 60 lbs. When I took the motor apart, I inspected the piston and the top ring rotated in it, and tore the top of the crown off. I was fortunate that there was minimal damage to the wall, chunks flew out the exhaust port. I replaced it with another one from WSM and thought nothing of it. Then mid way through the next season, I flooded the motot while flushing, blew out the crank seals and tore it apart again. Inspected the pistons again and found the ring rotated again!! This time in the middle cyl. I took a look at all the pistons, and noticed that all of them had the ring pins float inwards, allowing the rings to rotate. What the $%#@!!!! I called up WSM and they said I installed the pistons wrong. I KNOW I didn't, this is not the first motor I'm rebuilding. They spoke to me very rudely and told me they would send me 3 new pistons after arguing with them for 30 min. Been riding on the new set for about 30 hours, no prob yet, but who knows, don't feel like tearing it apart again. My question is, are the holes for the ring pins drilled to a certain depth in the piston crown, as to not allow the pins to float in, or did I just get a bad batch? I took the old pistons, and on each one, I was able to push the pins in beyond the point where they would keep the ring from rotating. Next time sticking with OEM parts.

I believe you are correct. First it's very hard to install a piston in a cylinder without the rings being in the correct position. Second you shouldn't be able to move those pins at all. If the pins are movable there is something wrong with the piston. The pins should be high enough not to let the ring turn.

[ February 22, 2001: Message edited by: Joe St. Louis - SBT ]

Comment

This is typical of WSM pistons. The trash can is the best place to install the WSM pistons.
      You are not the first, and won't be the last guy who has this problem. They refuse to reconize this as a problem, and for that reason, I will not deal with WSM.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
      X