717 Rotary valve shaft failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 717 Rotary valve shaft failure

Hello T.S. I just had a customer return a ski with a SBT 717 that quit after 20 min.s of riding. I installed the engine last fall and sold him the ski. It was ran on a flush hose and water tested prior to his purchase. He didn't run it until just a couple of days ago and had to be towed in.
    I thought he had mixed the fuel too heavy with oil at first. The compression is good on both cylinders and both have ignition. I determined that the fuel mixture was ok and I also discovered that the engine would run (very rough) with only the mag plug connected but would not fire with only the pto plug connected. I also noticed that while cranking the engine that the carb would spray small drops of fuel out of the top. I pulled the rotorary valve cover and found that the valve does not move when turning the engine by hand. I can turn the valve shaft freely about 90 degrees. No signs of any forien object damage to the valve, cases, or valve cover.
    I would like to claim warranty on this engine and get it repaired asap. any advise or special instructions? I plan to call Jen in the morning but will check here first. The engine S/N is 41251. I have installed about 20 of your engines and have never had a problem (1 leaky head bolt but that doesn't count) and enjoy doing business with you. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks John BoatWerks LLC
    As an after thought I thought I should tell you that the oil pump was removed and blocked off during the engine installation. The oil lines to the valve shaft were bled at installation and the oil tank filled. When I discovered the nature of the problem I again inspected the oil lines and they are full of oil and the tank is still serviced. John
    Last edited by boatwerks; 05-09-2005, 08:56 PM. Reason: additional details

Re: 717 Rotary valve shaft failure

Please contact Julie, not Jen - she is the Warranty Mgr. and will get it swaped out for you. It'll be inspected usually within 48 hours of arrival so you will know what our best guess of failure was.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

T.S., I added some text to my original post, Just wanted you to know that I don't believe oil starvation was the problem, See original post. Thanks again John

Comment

They'll take care of it :)
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X