2 Stroke Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Stroke Timing

I recently purchased an SBT motor for my Polaris SLT780. Is there a simple way of setting the timing on a 2 stroke motor? I realize it is totally different than a 4 stroke, just never had to tune a 2 stroke before. Thanks for any info....

Re: 2 Stroke Timing

Some have minor adjustment possible at the stator, some are non adjustable, some only through a dealer computer. In any case, there is no need to do so when you swap blocks.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks, I was going through some of the SeaDoo timing threads on here, figuring timing would be somewhat similar? Where, for my polaris, there are 2 marks on the magneto back plate, the advance mark and retard mark. Should I just align them so that the mark on my flywheel is centered between them?

Comment

That's fine.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I just put my stator in my SBT 780 the other day. It is adjustable. Seeing how I don't have a mark on my old block to go off. I followed the procedure for installing a new stator. I think it is were the old one was anyway. You line the mark on the stator plate up with the line where the two case split. That is generally where they go. Hope it is good enough cause it looks like it is impossible to adjust later without pulling the engine or at least the gas tank.
          He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris_Nut#1
            I just put my stator in my SBT 780 the other day. It is adjustable. Seeing how I don't have a mark on my old block to go off. I followed the procedure for installing a new stator. I think it is were the old one was anyway. You line the mark on the stator plate up with the line where the two case split. That is generally where they go. Hope it is good enough cause it looks like it is impossible to adjust later without pulling the engine or at least the gas tank.
            There are actually two marks on the stator that could be used to line up with the cases. One mark is advanced and the other is retarded. Use the retarded mark for the 750 and 780. The 650 uses the advanced mark.

Doug

Comment

Thanks guys for your responses. So did either of you guys use a Timing Degree Wheel? or do you just eye it? I dont have the manual with me, but I think the Mag Cyl is supposed to be BTDC. Thanks again for your all's help!

Comment

Originally posted by Sobo2k5
                Thanks guys for your responses. So did either of you guys use a Timing Degree Wheel? or do you just eye it? I dont have the manual with me, but I think the Mag Cyl is supposed to be BTDC. Thanks again for your all's help!
                Eye it up!:emoticont

Doug

Comment

yes the mag

"NOTE:1993 stator plates have to two marks. When installing a new stator on an 650, align the upper mark on the stator plate (more advanced) with the crankcase parting line. On an 750, align the lower mark on the stator plate (more retard) with the crankcase parting line." RIGHT from the manual. My 1996 only has one mark.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...+timing+stator

This is the base line for installation.
                  I'm just eye balling it and use the base setting.
                  You need a dial indicator and degree wheel to make timing adjustments.
                  There is an entire chart to go off if you're gone really go all out.The chart goes from 10 to 28
                  Degree BTDC (mm/Inch)
                  10 = 0.62/.024
                  20 = 2.47/.097
                  28 = 4.77/.188
                  He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

specs
                    650, 18 degrees +/- 2 = .079 (2.01)
                    750, 24 degrees +/- 2 = .139 (3.54)
                    780, 28 degrees +/- 2 = .188 (4.77)

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris_Nut#1
                      yes the mag

"NOTE:1993 stator plates have to two marks. When installing a new stator on an 650, align the upper mark on the stator plate (more advanced) with the crankcase parting line. On an 750, align the lower mark on the stator plate (more retard) with the crankcase parting line." RIGHT from the manual. My 1996 only has one mark.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...+timing+stator

This is the base line for installation.
                      I'm just eye balling it and use the base setting.
                      You need a dial indicator and degree wheel to make timing adjustments.
                      There is an entire chart to go off if you're gone really go all out.The chart goes from 10 to 28
                      Degree BTDC (mm/Inch)
                      10 = 0.62/.024
                      20 = 2.47/.097
                      28 = 4.77/.188
                      That's where I remember reading it from as well. I had no idea the '96 had one mark. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

Comment

Awesome, thats what I like to hear :emoticonc . I'm trying to do this without spending more money to have the dealer do all this stuff for me. After all, you dont learn anything by having someone else do it for ya :D , especially after awhile its going to be hard to find anybody that'll work on polaris's. Guys, you kick azz! Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Working...
                        X