Problems With Kawasaki 1100 STX DI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With Kawasaki 1100 STX DI

I have a 2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI that I bought brand new. It has 21 hours on it now. I havent had it in the water for the past two years and now I'd like to get it ready to go again in about 2 weeks at our local lake. Couple of questions if anyone out there can help me. Every time I put it in the water the first time (after winter) it smokes really bad for about 2-3 minutes. I expect this to be normal as it only does it the first time out after a long sit through winter. The last time I had it out the engine light came on and it slowed down to about 5 MPH and then it started working fine again. Just the engine light-nothing else. Actually had it out 2 or 3 more times after that during that summer and had no problems with it. This past week I replaced the battery and tried cranking it but it wouldnt crank. Its always been hard to crank the first time anyway but cranks right up after that at the beginning of the season. This time was different as it wouldnt crank up and stay running. I took the cap off the top of the cooling system to flush it once I got it running and it did crank right up after I took the cap off. It cranked up just fine after that so I ran water through it. It still smoked a thick blue smoke as always but I didnt think anything of it but when I turned it off there was a thick, creamy gray liquid dripping out of the exhaust on the back of the ski. Is this something I should have checked before I take it out because it cranks right up now as it used to do. Or is this the beginning of a major problem. This ski has never been in salt water and only used a little over 20 hours and garage kept since I bought it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance and great site!

Larry

Re: Problems With Kawasaki 1100 STX DI

Thats is normal for running it on a flush hose.

You may want to get some new spark plugs in it since they have some age on them or at least pull then and inspect.

The light came on because either the computer or exhaust pipe overheated and sent the signal to the computer to go into limp home mode.

If this happends again pull up the seat and see if the exhaust pipe is real hot. If not then it is the computer overheating and you should flush out the ski and the lines connected to the computer box. It may also be a bad sensor on the exhaust pipe. You could unplug it temporarily for a test.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Since I've had it I've never touched the spark plugs so I can believe its about time for them to be replaced. The thing that worried me is the thick, grayish liquid coming out the back when I was flushing it with the hose. The exhaust is not hot at all. I just didnt want to be stranded in the middle of the lake this weekend by having it do the same problem as before of having water get into it somehow as the liquid is coming out. I'm thinking maybe oil? Like I said I've never seen it until I flushed it today. Ever been to Buggs Island Lake?

Larry

Comment

The oil builds up in the water box when you are flushing it then it runs out the back.

Never been up there just around Charlotte and Myrtle Beach / Esisto SC

Comment

I checked it over once again this afternoon after work and it cranked right up like normal. Still has some blue smoke but I expect that to clear after its run for a few minutes on the lake. It did not leak any oil running but once again when I added the water to it- looked like a quart of oil poured out the back. It looks and smells like gear oil. What is the possibility of a gasket or something cracked on the gear box. The book says nothing about it so I never checked it but I'm sure it has one. After flushing it for a few minutes the oil cleared up. Perhaps it's run all the oil out or just quit altogether?

Larry

Comment

Its a two stroke and it does burn oil. Not all the oil is burnt and it will be sent out the exhaust.

Comment

when you fog the engine there is lots of oil in the engine. Just go out and take it easy on it while the engine has a chance to work back in. I really don't think anything is wrong with the ski man. If your still scared just ride close to shore.
              Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
              2002-1100STX DI
              2004-15F
              2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

There was a recall issued back in 2002 to add check valves to the injector lines, which prevents oil from leaking into the cases during extended storage. I believe this was an optional recall. Check with your dealer on it. While your at it, check and see if the mandatory recall was done on the fuel pump for corrosion issues.
                2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Working...
                X