580 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 580 carb

What happens to a 580(spi) single carb when is given a transplant of a dual carb from a 580(other model-xp)? What kind of horses are we talking? Or should I be looking for a couple of circus ponies? I was thinking that by using a dual carb to replace my single carb from the same engine size, I could eliminate some of the other part changing hassels? I am heading in the right direction? Thanks for the time and patience for novice's like myself and others.

Re: 580 carb

Do yourself a fav and bump up to a single SBN44. It'll save some bucks (new manifold & extra carb) and will be the same hp increase (about 3-4hp).

You'll also save yourself the headache of synch'ing (tuning) and easier to troubleshoot if you wind up with carb trouble.

The cost of the dual set-up really doesn't justify the minimal increase in power IMHO.

Comment

I agree.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Is that carb an aftermarket or from another model?

Comment

Actually, your cheapest alternative is an oem setup from a later model white 580 motor. If you could find a complete setup from a white 580, including the RV cover, Rotary Valve, intake manifold, carbureator, oil cable, oil pump, and oem airbox. I have gotten a 1994 Sea Doo SP 580 to go well above 44 mph with the stock single carb intake, and almost 50 mph when I added a pipe and carb kit with filter and a Solas impellor ( Splash magazine test, 1994 ).

Either an oem dual carb setup or the later model 580 38mm SBN setup is an improvement over the stock BN "round body" carbs that came on the early model 580's. Without at least a high performance XP type pipe, the whole thing is kinda a waste of time IMO.

If you put a single 44 mm Mikuni on there, which is a good setup too, you will need to hassel the oil cable, throttle cable, filters, jetting and change the rotary valve too, so look for a complete kit if you go that way. You will also need a 19 degree impellor too.

I think John Ziegler may have some Westcoast kits available. He also has great deals on the Westcoast pipes for those motors too.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X