ZXi broke trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZXi broke trim

I have a 96 900 ZXi with trim that doesnt work. I have ordered the Kawasaki shop manual for it, but was told by the shop that it may be 3 weeks for it to get here.

Does anyone have the steps for trouble shooting the trim system? Also looking for any measurements that I may have to take with the multimeter...

Re: ZXi broke trim

The ZXI trim system allows water to get into the trim box, which (of course) causes all sorts of problems.

First, pull your trim box out.
    Examine.
    The problem may be obvious...

IF not, check your fuse box - a trim problem may blow the big 30a fuse.

Next, Open the box up, if you're lucky the trim motor is seized and can be saved. You can apply 12v to the wires on the motor and make sure it turns.
    If it doesn't turn - replace/rebuild/try and save it - I've heard people have good luck lubing it up and getting it to spin again.

If it's not the motor, it's likely the controller circuit. I don't know the troubleshooting procedure, but the trim switch should apply voltage to at least 2 different wires on the controller.. The controller should have a bit of a relay function and apply voltage to the motor.

I've been told if the motor is good, 98% of it's the trim controller.

Comment

just open the housing, there is probably water inside that could have fryed the motor. every now and then i see one for sale on ebay. you could also check with these salvage sites:
      http://www.mm-marine.com/index.html
      http://www.jetkingparts.com/

good luck

Comment

i have the same year zxi, my buddy has a 95 900 zxi, we repaired both-the 95 model uses a circuit board controller just like the man said previous,the 96 uses a better, more marine friendly potted controller(all sealed up)all you have to do is wire it directly, use a test light. my 96 had a frozen cable,and a magnet had fallen inside the case, i just sanded the inside of the motor case,and magnet and epoxied it in, then CLEANED it THOUROGHLY with crc electronic cleaner,put a small dab of grease on end of armature and used 3m 5200 to seal it up. thats over 6 months ago and its still working.your performance will increse dramatically with the trim working.:emoticont--- all they are is a power window motor from a honda or something.do some searching- save some money a new box i heard is 600.00 and people think i am expensive.
        Last edited by redhawk marine; 05-25-2005, 11:08 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Also order a trim rod boot from a later ZXI to hel keep the water out.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Anyone actually KNOW what else that trim motor is used for?
            Such would be highly helpful info...

Comment

If the motor works is it possible to by pass the control unit and run power from battery to switch to motor to ground, and reverse polarity for the other direction? Has anyone done this? Not forking out big bucks to fix this thing
              He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

zxi no start.

hi i just purchased a 1995 zxi 900 with trim hat doesn't work ,i like to know if is possible to get the ski start with no trim control module or i need to get a new module to get ski start. does any one know please.THANKX.
                Last edited by bori69; 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

disconnect wire and don't use.too expensive to replace, and not worth it.
                  the trim causes all sorts of problems. be sure to disconnect the small ground wire at the battery, otherwise will keep shorting, blowing up fuse or discharge the battery.you can adjust trim manually by adjustng the screws to your desired position.

Comment

Working...
                  X