tigershark starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tigershark starter problem

I Have A 1996 Tigershark Montego Dlx That Has Set For The Winter .
    When I Go To Start It The Starter Runs But It Does Not Turn The Engine Over. Replaced Battery But Starter Still Just Runs And The Engine Doesn't Turnover. Do I Need To Replace The Starter? The Drive
    Gears? Or What. Could I Pull The Starter And The The Drive Gears Without Removing The Engine?
    Bob Rother

Re: tigershark starter problem

I had the same problem on my '97 Daytona 770. If the starter turns, then thats not your problem. The pinion assembly is probably locked up but you might not need to replace it. I pulled mine out, cleaned it up, and greased it (a lot). I would, however, strongly suggest you pull the engine out of the hull to do this. There's a lot less chance of breaking or losing bplts that way... plus, you will have to pull the flywheel to get the pinion assembly out.

Comment

On a Montego it is not that hard of a job since the pipe is well out of the way.

Remove the bolts holding the front engine cover on and pull it off the front of the engine. You can leave the oil pump attached and just move it to the side or place it on top of the fuel tank.

Now take piece of rope or bungi cord and with the front piston 1/2 way up while turning the flywheel counter clockwise feed in some and then try to losten the flywheel bolt. If the engine spins then you didn't use enough rope or cord start again.

After getting the flywheel bolt off then take a standard flywheel puller and pull the flywheel off the crankshaft. Now the bendix can be pulled out the front. Account for any shim/thrust washers on the back and front of the bendix and replace them where the came from with the new bendix. You can use an aftermarket bendix with good results on a 640-770 engine but not the 900-1000-1100's they wear them out fast.

I normaly charge 2hrs to do this on a Montego or Daytona.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I will pull the flywheel and replace the pinion drive and I also intend to block off the oil injection pump. But I am not sure on the proper oil ratio. Should it be 50:1 or 40:1?

Comment

I use 40:1 Yamalube 2W with no plug fouling or any other issues.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X