96 gtx meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 gtx meltdown

I have a 1996 GTX with the 800 carb engine.

The first time out this year after about 2 minutes the exhaust coupler came apart between the tuned pipe and the waterbox. It also melted the water regulator. I took the water regulator apart and found the spring was broken. I bought a used regulator at a salvage yard off a 951 XP and reinstalled it and reconnected the pipe and waterbox. This time it lasted about 5 minutes and the coupler came off and the water regulator melted off again.

I removed the waterbox and that looked ok, no rattles when I shook it and water flowed through it with a garden hose. The rear exhaust hose had a bubble in it near the point that it connects to the waterbox, the inner wall separated from the outer wall and there was a hole in the inner wall that caused the delamination and made it balloon up. This caused some restriction in the tube and may have caused the pipe to waterbox coupler to separate. Also the through hull fitting for the exhaust had some melted plastic in the end of it.
    1. Did the broken spring cause the water to shut off to the pipe and the waterbox?
    2. How can I check the water regulator, I thing I will be able to salvage the second water regulator but I want to make sure it is working correctly or should I just buy a new one.
    3. I am planning to replace the water box to tuned pipe couple, the rubber exhaust tube and the rear exhaust through hull fitting.
    Is there anything else that I need to look at or replace, I did notice on the second time out that the rear pisser was flowing water. The engine seemed to run fine and I double-checked the hose routing and all looks correct.

Thanks, Mike

Re: 96 gtx meltdown

You must have the hoses reversed on the water regulator, or there is a restriction keeping the water from being injected into the pipe from the water regulator. Without water injection into the pipe, everything gets overheated behind the point where the water is injected at the midpipe, including the tail cone, the coupler, the muffler and water regulator.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I think everything was plumbed up correctly, i will double check again

how do you check the water regulator, i am planning on putting it back together with the old parts and running it on a garden hose and disconnecting the hose on the tuned pipe to check for water flow. how much flow will you have at idle with a garden hose connected.
      first i will check for an obstruction at the pipe fitting.
      will the broken spring on the first regulator cause low water flow.
      i changed it but maybe allready did the damage to the rubber parts.

Comment

Yes a broken spring could cause the water flow to be minimimal. You should have a full stream of water at low rpm, reducing at higher rpm. Check the fitting in the midpipe.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Hello Bill,

I checked the fitting on the mid pipe and it was completly clogged.
          I think that and the broken spring was the problem. i put it together with the old parts (rubber connector between the water box and tuned pipe and the rear exhaust rubber tube) cleaned the fitting and replaced the spring and it ran good on the hose, i have water flow from the regulator to the mid pipe.
          i ordered the new parts and i should be good to go this weekend.
          Thanks for all of the help, we have a lousy dealer here is fort wayne so i have to do it myself. I am thankful for the internet.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X