93 TS needle valve and oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 TS needle valve and oil pump

Two quick questions, I have read the needle valve section on the site and read that it is 7/8 of a turn for my year. My first question is: is 7/8 of a turn the safest setting or is there some other setting I should put it to that will ensure that it will run 'safe', meaning no blown motors...:D

Other question, is there a way to test if the oil pump is working well. This will be the first time we have taken this PWC out and all these things worry me as it is our first. It looks as if there is fresh oil running through the hose to the manifold but how can I be sure it is moving. I will switch to premix after this holiday weekend before we go out again, just want it to survive the first outing till then. Thanks for the help and also for the tech videos, I rebuilt my first carb successfully today because of them.

Ron -

Re: 93 TS needle valve and oil pump

I calibrated my oil pump on a 1995 TigerShark... the procedure was easy enough. Don’t have all the exact numbers (rpm and cc oil used) in front of me .

1. Get a hold of a graduated cylinder… 10cc and some tubing. I got mine from a medical lab. It’s a cheap plastic column worth about a dime. You can find them online under medical supplies but would have to buy in case volume
    2. Use premix in the gas tank.
    3. Disconnect the oil pump from the oil tank.
    4. Disconnect the control cable from the oil pump.
    5. Cut a coat hanger to form a long handled hook and attach to the control arm of the oil pump.
    6. Pre fill the graduated cylinder with 10cc of oil (also make sure the length of tubing is filled with oil). Pipette it using your mouth to draw oil into the tubing and cylinder.
    7. Attach the tubing and graduated cylinder to the oil pump feed.
    8. Start the ski on the flush kit, bring idle up to 3000 rpm and measure the volume of cc drawn from the graduated cylinder after two minutes with the pump control arm set at the closed position.
    9. Repeat above steps but this time run ski at 3500 rpm and pull the coat hanger so the pump is full open.

The volume of cc drawn / rpm/ time will calibrate the pump to a known spec. The TigerShark Manual had the values for my ski and my pump was within spec.
    Good to know it was working. So I went back to the oil injection. I will do this from time to time… But the pump could die at anytime and engine goes right then and there. So you have to decide convenience verses risk.

Comment

If he follows those instructions he will promply burn up his engine.

What about the premix in the fuel tank?

If it is not smoking it's not getting oil.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I know this would not be the right way to do it but would it work for the weekend as there is no time to order the blockoff kit? Could I just cap off the the oil feed to the manifold and or the pump and run premix for the weekend? Would that damage the oil pump and would it even matter since I plan on going premix anyways?

Ron -

Comment

You could do the oil pump block off with a piece of plastic as a temporary cover for the mag housing. Just cut it out from a plasic lid. Use some silicone sealent before you attach it to the front of the engine. I use Permatex "The right stuff"

On a 640-770 I normaly leave the oil pump connected to the throttle cable so the throttle will have the same feel and not be to light of a pull. Now remove all the oil lines, cap off the manifold fitting and cap off the tank. Now when the oil pump block off plate comes in you remove the plastic part and replace it with the metal one.

Mix the fuel at 40:1 with Yamalube 2W.

Comment

Originally posted by dank
            On a 640-770 I normaly leave the oil pump connected to the throttle cable so the throttle will have the same feel and not be to light of a pull. Mix the fuel at 40:1 with Yamalube 2W.
            Thank you for the reply, I have a dumb question. If there is some sort of drive shaft for the oil pump could I just take off the pump, remove the shaft and then just replace the pump back onto the motor, then cap off the lines?

I am a total noob but I retain the info people give me!:emoticonc

Ron -

Comment

No shaft it engages a slot in the flywheel bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by dank
                If he follows those instructions he will promply burn up his engine.

What about the premix in the fuel tank?

If it is not smoking it's not getting oil.
                Step two... has it "2. Use premix in the gas tank."
                This is out of the service manual... works for me!

Comment

Did it have it the first time I read it or was it edited?

Comment

Yup had it in there the first time... I did not edit it.

I copied it from this thread posted way back when...

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...uated+cylinder

Comment

Anyone have the 411 on the needle settings...here on SBT it says to set it to 7/8 of a turn. I was just wondering if this is correct and is it the safe setting. Not looking for turbo here on the first time out, just longevity. Thanks for all the great help!

Ron -

Comment

Set them at 1 out and tune from there. Most ski's will need fine tuneing after you set the carbs to the stock settings. Look in the tech articles for carb tuning procedure.

Comment

Well, just got back from the lake and had a terrible time. Got my Shark in the the water and fired it up, stalled out on me. Fired it back up and cleared the launch, headed out about half way down Lake Elsinor, felt like it was bogging the whole way, would not get on plane. Turned it around, it bogged some and then got on plane. Oh man, it was great!!! Took it up on the shore, open it up and the exhaust manifold was not even hot, seemed good to me. Fired it back up and started heading out, less than 5mph, no wake zone. It stalled on me, fired it back up bogging the whole way, would not stay running without some throttle managment, cleared the no wake zone and it stalled again. Cranked and cranked, would not start back up, killed the battery. Got a tow in and we finished the day riding my brother in laws Sea Doo. As he towed me back to delaunch, the TS fired up every time I tried it but would not stay idling. Any ideas???

Ron -

Comment

Did you do anything to adjust the carb? Did you do a plug check to see if it was lean or rich?

Comment

I set the needle at 1 as you suggested, and did a few small adjustments from there. My brother in law did mention that it seemed like it was idling high as when it did stay idling we had to hold that sucker tight to keep it from powering away:D . I did do a plug check back at camp and the plugs were shiny wet and also looked like they were in desperate need of replacing, the one thing I overlooked before going out, it had been sitting since 2001 and the person I bought it from seemed to have not preparred it to sit.

Ron -

Comment

Working...
                              X