2 Beeps, Spark, then I put the plugs in and No Spark.. Then spark again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Beeps, Spark, then I put the plugs in and No Spark.. Then spark again

It's a 96 XP 800 Limited boat. When I put the key on I get the two beeps. And then I get spark. Good strong spark. Then I put the plugs back in the cyl s and no spark. I pull the plugs out...no spark.. I wait.. No spark.. I pull the key and then pop it back on 2 beeps and then I get SPARK again. But when I put them in they stop sparking...

So far I have:
    Cleaned/sanded all ground connections. The last thing I did before this problem was to change starters if that means anything..
    Checked resistance on the key thing and it was fine. I checked resistance on the start / stop button and when I hit the button it showed about 6-9 ohms... Is this too high? Could this be start stop switch related?

Im going to go and totally replace the rear ground wire and see if that helps.

What else can I do?

Re: 2 Beeps, Spark, then I put the plugs in and No Spark.. Then spark again

Try Useing Another Battery To Jump Start It And You Will Prob- Find You Get Spark Every Time Even With The Plugs In. You Prob- Need Another Battery. Your Getting Too Much Drop In Voltage For The Ignition Module To Fire.

Comment

Originally posted by julrich
      Try Useing Another Battery To Jump Start It And You Will Prob- Find You Get Spark Every Time Even With The Plugs In. You Prob- Need Another Battery. Your Getting Too Much Drop In Voltage For The Ignition Module To Fire.
      The battery is almost new. And in addition, I've run about 10 amps/on charger through it and it seems to have plenty of pep.

But if you still feel that I should buy another battery I will.

Thanks for the reply.

Matt

Comment

First try jumping with like a car battery but make sure the car is not running another thing you can try is removing the spark plug boot and cutting off a 1/2 inch of plug wire then replace the boot

Comment

You say you changed starters why ? where did you get the starter from ? and is it new?

Comment

I bought the starter off of ebay, think it was a rebuild. Purchased because the old one wouln't crank it anymore.

Comment

Could be starter is drawing too much from battery. have you tried jumping it with a car battery yet ?

Comment

I just pulled the MPwhatever box up front and checked all the fuses. Then I disconnected and reconnected the wires... Now I'm getting nothing. No beep and no turning over..
                btw: what does the single purple wire go to? It looks like it has been disconnected a long time.

This boat was a full race boat before, so it may have a lot of the stock parts replaced on it.

I'm going ot go try and unhook/rehook the wires up and see if it will at least give me what I had before.

Comment

I Think That Purple Wire Goes To The Oil/fuel/bat/temp Guage

Comment

Originally posted by julrich
                    I Think That Purple Wire Goes To The Oil/fuel/bat/temp Guage

You mean the guage that is missing from my boat ;) GoodI'm heading to the store to get some more sandpaper and electrical cleaner spray.

Comment

Seems like you are going backwards.

Purple wire from the MPEM is the power wire that connects to the purple wire going through the wire harness to the guages.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Check box in back of boat where coil is located for water.......

Comment

Originally posted by David3aces
                          Check box in back of boat where coil is located for water.......

It did get wet at one time. You can tell from the corosion on the wire ends and such. But I sanded them all clean.

The thing has a UMI Stem and no guages. So I'm guessing that the purple wire (that looks like it hasn't been hooked up to anything for a long time) is ok being left unattached.

Now I can't get anything. I must have a short near the MPEG or something. But now it's thursday night and we set sail immediately after work tom... So it looks like no jet ski ridding for Matthew this weekend. (I'll just tow my 20' center consol boat and play on that)

BillOniel,

I'm glad to see you are still helping people out. We talked before but it was years ago.

Do you think my start/stop switch could cause this?

Comment

I was thinking more like you have a broken ignition pickup in the mag housing.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM
                            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                              I was thinking more like you have a broken ignition pickup in the mag housing.

So I guess that means that I should pull the mag cover and look at it... But what am I looking for?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X