questions about 99 gp1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about 99 gp1200

hi im new here and would like some info on the 1999 yamaha gp1200. i am thinking of buying one.

how do they handel?

what is the engine quality(great-fair-bad)and horse power rating?

how would you rate the craft overall? hows the aftermarket for it?

what is the diff. between the 99,00 and 01?

is there any recall or problem with the 99?

i plan on keeping it stock till next season, but is there any mod that is a must

how does it compare to the 98 kawaski zxi 1100(handeling,motor,power,quality overall)?

those are the two i am looking at now. thanks alot for the help.
    -mike-

They handle very well, but also benefit greatly from a few aftermarket items, to make it even more solid. The only not so-great trait is a bounce, but it's correctable.

The Engine is excellent - one of the more reliable and potent in production. It goes like the energizer bunny, reacts VERY well to mods, and has a ton of power. It is rated at 135HP.

Overall, it's an excellent ski - you can make it do whatever you want it to very well, depending on your choice of mods...it can be a great jumper, great turner, or great cruiser...

The 99 was the last year of that particualal configuration - the 2000+ are completely different craft - new hull, new engine, they just share part of the name.

There are no major problems with the '99s.

The only mod you might want to do right away would be a rideplate/intake grate combo. The Shreadmaster or Riva/Bullett Marine rideplates are the only ones that work well, and the Pro-Tec or Riva top-loader grates are the best. This will give you the best hookup in all conditions and give you a great handling ride in all conditions. Be sure to set your sponsons in the down position if you are in rough water.

It blows the 1100ZXi out of the water in all respects.

Comment

Great info Bryan, I know it's old but I did a search. My GP1200 99 porpoises incredibly bad in practically any condition other then glass. Im in the bay area as well, and you can pick a spot - from Lake Tarpon to Ft. Desota to Coquina Key/Longboat in Sarasota, to Tampa Bay off of Picnic Island or Causeway - all are unbelievably bouncy. I have a 97 XP that with the fully stock and smaller motor 0will still beat the GP1200 in those conditions less then glass. I believe the trim cable is broken because the trim doesn't do anything at all. (The VTS on the XP is broken too ironically), I was wondering what mods would fix this problem? I purchased near the begining of the summmer, and I was told it has a aftermarket(riva?) intake grate(I have the receipt for it), but still stock ride plate(does the few inches off the back make that much of a difference?) - also, should I move the sponsons down as far as they can go?

What else can be done?

-B.
      <a href="http://www.flyerfaucet.com">
      Flyer Faucet Printing Services
      </a> Worldwide Leader In Full Color Printing

Comment

Move the sponsons down and put on a Shredmaster ride plate. A zero degree pump
        nozzel from a '97 GP1200 will help also, but
        will slow it down about 1 mph. If your trim is broke it will have to be fixed.

[ October 15, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: 99gp1200 ]

Comment

Honestly there are so many setup and part combos - there are a few combos that work very well, but you have to commit to all of them at once for it to be a truely all-around nice ride.

The Riva competition plate and pro-tec intake grate works well, but it does take a good deal of shimming and setup.

Beach House sponsons help a lot more than putting the stock sponsons down, but that does have a little effect.

There is no way to maintain full top speed and have a bounce free ride, unfortunately. You will drop 2-3 MPH top end to have a completely stable ride.

The 1997 reduction nozzle helps a bit.

You NEED trim working regardles, it makes the largest difference. Replace your cable, it's about $120.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Mike;
            I actually own the gp1200 99 and, a 1100 ZXI Kawasaki. From experience, I would without a doubt go with the GP. Simple, if indeed you look at most of the forums, you will see many upgrades possible for the yamaha. The kawa, not has much, I tried to bring it up, F/A, reeds, etc, not satisfied. My choice from experience, GP1200. I now have an XLT1200 and I am very satisfied, comfort, motor, I am very pleased with Yamaha. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X