96xp new top end, wotn start! please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96xp new top end, wotn start! please help

a little history on the 96xp, bought it 2 weeks ago with a fried piston. bought a wsm piston/top end kit. put the top end together arrow facing the exhaust manifold. put the motor back into the ski, timed the rv with a protractor to 147 btdc on the mag cylinder. while assmebling the motor i put an R&D exhaust on. since i had no idea why the piston blew i removed the gar tank and filter and cleaned them out. there was still a lil gas in the primer line so for giggles i hit the start button it went to start but sounded reallllly rough. an hour later we filled the gas tank up 30:1 (running premix) it wont crank at all i dont think theres gas going into the carbs i tried bleeding the prime line but after 30minutes i still didnt get gas into it. i tried starting fluid in the cylinder and in the intake and it isnt even trying to kick over at this point!!! every time it sounds like its going to start the motor sounds like absolute garbage. mods on the ski are primer kit, r&d exhaust,msd rev, r&d heads, r&d air intake, rave valves. i have spark, it also seems like every time i take my plug off it seems like "pam" is on there but it shouldnt be at all!!! thats what i used to get the pistons in, pam in my opinion is alot better then wd-40. what could be going on?????????????????? also what do the rave valves do? i was told i have to time it but other then the rotary valve how do i time it??? kinda sounds like the motor is firing to soon.

Re: 96xp new top end, wotn start! please help

I would check the rotary valve timing again. Sounds like its off. No timing involved with the RAVE valves.

Comment

Rotary timing I would say also. Just a friendly reminder... dont use starter fluid on these engines. They are very oil sensitive and need it badly. By using starter fluid you are not giving it a chance to have any 2stroke in the cyl.'s. Good luck!

Comment

well i fixed it at 7-11am this morning just got back, it was the magneto cup off by one hole, started right up it was a lil hesitant to rev up... didnt think anything of it, brought it to the water, started up fine after priming 2 or 3 times but wouldnt go over 4mph!!! tried tinkering with the low and high speed adjustmnets as best i could in the water, killed the battery trying to fix it now im ripping it down. figure my adjustments are all out of wack specially since i put the r&d exhaust on it.

Comment

Sounds like your rotary valve timing is off too. 147 degrees from where? Should be from the bottom of mag port to edge of the opening side of the RV, with mag piston at TDC.
          Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Re: 96xp new top end, runs mint out of water, wont go over 6mph in water

well thankfully to this GREAT website. i was able to solve all the problems i had with this project thus far. i was able to do the rotary valve timing. then i was able to solve my magneto cup timing. and i was able to adjust my carbs to support all my mods (hopefully i didnt test it yet, thats in an hour)
            i adjusted my high speed screw out about 9/16 of a turn and 1 1/4 on low speed. hopefully you guys can advise me if im going to go over 4mph today. my mods hopefully ill remember then all is as follows.

jetronics flywheel, r&d exhaust/air intake/water scoop. msd, micro touch tach ( that only says 7700min when the skis idling or wot) , solas impellar, rave valves (dont know what those are yet will look it up on here) primer kit. wsm top end, jetted carbs. and im running a 30/1 premix...... is that to rich? is my carbs adjusted properlly???????? it fires up and revs up high no problem at all no hesitations, idles mint since i adjusted.

Comment

How could we know if the carbs are adjusted correctly?

Micro Touch does not make tachs.

30 to 1 is a bit too rich for premixing. 32-1 or 40 to 1 is more inline with the rest of the planet.
              Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

well i started the day with 9/16 out from all the way in, and 1 1/4 on low speed from all the way in. but today i couldnt get over 12mph, even adjusting all the way in like stock on my hs, and going to 3/4 on ls and it still only went 12mph. any suggestions....???? im thinking rebuild kit time??? my carbs are "jetted" according to the previous owner. how do i rebuild the carbs and keep it jetted. regular rebuild kit or a jet kit???

the part i dont get is it sounded mint out of the water revved right up no problem! as soon as i hit water it didnt seem to wanna rev over 3,000 rpm.
                could it be that i was to rich??? it was smoking like silly on my trailer out of the water. fun memorial day weekend :)

the only things i can think of is the rotary valve it was timed right but the housing seemed a lil scored up, carbs rebuilding or could it possibly be that the magneto cup was timed wrong and i kept trying to fire it i guess ill go buy a compression tester

Comment

Working...
                X