'00 XLT1200 Using too much oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 XLT1200 Using too much oil?

Neighbor says his 2000 XLT1200 uses almost a gallon every two tanks. It does seem to smoke a lot. I have a 2000 XL800 that only uses a gallon every 4-5 tanks (I think, but doesn't use near as much as he does). Is this too much? I think I remember that his may not be variable injection and mine is but I'm not sure of that either. Thanks in advance, -Scope

yeah thats way too much oil have him check to see if the oil pump is working correctly or mabey its stuck and its pumping oil at wide open setting rather than the variable rate its supposed to. I dont know if yamaha has that default setting, because mine was a constant flow which I immediately yanked off and went pre mix on, but its a possibility that its stuck at WOT
    Rob

Comment

I would imagine his oil cable is not even attached, which defaults the pump to WOT. Your consuption is what it should be.

Comment

So bryan are you saying if the cable falls off the oil injection pump it automatically defaults to WOT? is that on all skis with oil injection?
        ]Rob

Comment

Yes, for all with variable rate injection.

Comment

Working...
          X