98 Seadoo XP Limited Top RPM Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Seadoo XP Limited Top RPM Problem

I have a 98 Seadoo Limited, problem is after the thing was tiped over and then turned over the wrong way.. you guessed it water on the pistons. I was able to clean out the pistons ok. It starts right up no problem, but when you take of it won't go over 4,000 rpm and loses all its power. I am guessing the Carbs are still flooded with water. Any Ideas? (ya I know I am looking at spending a lot of money to fix it)

Re: 98 Seadoo XP Limited Top RPM Problem

You broke a reed petal off when it hydro locked the engine.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Great. I am new to working on these things from a technical standpoint. what is my next step.

Comment

Remove the carbs and intake manifolds and replace the broken reed petals.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Is there a tech guide for this somewhere? (that would be for a 98 XP Limited) I can do it if I had a guide.

Comment

Read the tech guide for the 951 engine swap, it'll show you the steps you need.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Yes, at a local Sea Doo dealership, you can purchase a service manual. If you plan on doing your own work, the manual is worth it's weight in gold.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

Is it possible that water also got in the crankcase? Is there a plug on the crankcase to check for water?

Comment

Yes, It is usually reffered to as a Sparkplug. Remove both sparkplugs and crank the engine over with the starter motor. If water comes shooting out, you have bigger problems than a broken reed valve.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Bill,

If you notice in my first post, I stated that there was water on the pistons, hence there was water shooting out.(I maybe not the most savy with PWC's but I know all the basics of an engine and how a 2 stroke motor works) I was able to get all the water out, and the engine starts up and Idles just fine, but it is like I said it cuts out after 4000 rpm and loses all its power, won't rev past 4000rpm. Still think it is the Reed petals? Thanks for your help on this by the way.

Comment

You know, I do my best to help you guys, which is not easy sitting here at a computer with a cloudy crystal ball to help me. I mentioned the reeds because it COULD BE THE REEDS causing your problems. Is it the reeds ? I have no idea unless you look at them and tell me.

Put another way.
                      I recently had a customer come in here with a GSXL that seemed to be running rough and on one clyinder, not reving up much past 3500-4000 rpm. After trying all sorts of stuff, like a new coil, clipping wires, swapping MPEMs, Cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, ect. It turned out to be one broken reed petal on the mag side of the motor causing all the problems.

The magneto piston pumped 10 psi lower than the pto piston when it orginally arrived here. I replaced both pistons with new pistons 1st oversize. I noticed water scratches on the piston skirts.It still ran badly in the water (sounded fine here in the shop).

My best guess was that someone had flooded this motor with water ( sound familiar) then hydrolocked the motor trying to start it, which broke one reed petal. The broken reed caused the motor to start and sound fairly decent in the shop, but bog badly when trying to accellerate, hardly, if ever get up on plane and limit the rpms to around 3000-4000 rpm when in the water.

If any of this sounds like maybe this might be a senerio similiar to your problem, then I think you should remove your reeds and at least take a good look at them.

In about the time it took me to write this, you could have had the carbs off.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

The Reeds sound like a logical place to start. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks Bill

Comment

you could also have water fouled plugs and or water in your fuel filter seperator

Comment

Originally posted by markr
                            Bill,

If you notice in my first post, I stated that there was water on the pistons, hence there was water shooting out.(I maybe not the most savy with PWC's but I know all the basics of an engine and how a 2 stroke motor works) I was able to get all the water out, and the engine starts up and Idles just fine, but it is like I said it cuts out after 4000 rpm and loses all its power, won't rev past 4000rpm. Still think it is the Reed petals? Thanks for your help on this by the way.
                            I am not trying to be a smart arse, but if you know how a 2-stroke works then you should also know that any water that is in the crank-case will find its way to the combustion chamber, along with the fuel/air mixture. If the starter can't pump it all out then I would bet that it would be gone by the time you reached 4Krpm.

Comment

Not true at all. Water laying in the bottom of the engine cases will stay there until you reach very high rpm, like around 6000 rpm or so.
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM

Comment

Working...
                              X